World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

@jb1961 its not a hack at all. The invoices are created in the Paypal system and can only be sent to valid Paypal accounts. Somehow the spammer got a list of valid Paypal account emails and went to town. I am beginning to think this is not very widespread due to the few people complaining about it on various platforms. No big news outlet has picked this up yet, or even the tech press.

Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
Nice man you have. Hundred people here saying they can't cancel it and you said . I was able to cancel it.. and didn't give any clue as to how.. 🙄
Login to Me Too

SJacquel
Contributor
Contributor
How were u able to cancel it?
Login to Me Too

JOHNGALTpsm
Contributor
Contributor
I just got one for $25. To answer questions of 'how did this get in my PayPal', I belive you can send ANYONE an invoice for whatever you want as long as you have their contact information, i.e. phone number, payoal.me, email address. I don't know if this is a scam but I'm not taking the chance.
Login to Me Too

CGSCPA
Contributor
Contributor

I have received an invoice for $20 from "Response Fund for WHO COVID-19 Solidarity".  I had not heard of this and have not agreed to pay anything.  Anyone else have this?

Login to Me Too

apb5
Contributor
Contributor

I received this too.   An invoice was sent to my account just to get a donation.  Some people who may also receive this will believe they have to pay the invoice.  I have been trying to seek help from PayPal to cancel and block this request, but no luck yet. Responses from PayPal do not seem to address this specific issue.  I could easily block if the group was in my send/receive funds contacts, but the organization is NOT in my contacts.    

Login to Me Too

chayfree72
New Community Member

Hi. I got this by email but do not see it on my Paypal account? What is going on??? I agree with all people who wrote in.....definitely a scam.

Login to Me Too

blueskies18
Contributor
Contributor

How do I get rid of this?  Paypal has no right to violate my account like this.  

Login to Me Too

apb5
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with you.  I have been messaging PayPal most of the day, but they have been unable to offer an acceptable solution.  The end result message so far has been that I should not worry about it.   (I WILL worry about it every time I look at my account.)

I did message the organization behind this invoice, but have not heard back from them yet.

Login to Me Too

chico0100
Contributor
Contributor

I also received this; what a joke - PayPal has been useless.  Here is their response to me:

I received an invoice for something I didn’t ask for

I want it removed

INV2-2EFE-XXX-XXXX-XXXX

Zoraya

10:32 PM

Here’s how to cancel a money request or invoice:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Either find the request or invoice on your Summary page or click Activity.
3.Click Cancel next to it.
4.Click Yes to complete the cancellation.

When you cancel a money request, it’s always a good idea to email your recipient to tell them about the cancellation.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.