World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

AnthonyARG
New Community Member

Can someone explain why i keep recieving scam requests for money from people using paypal accounts?

Surely Paypal should have some filters in place or at least add a warning to the request like " This request comes from someone you don't know"

It would be very easy to accidently click on pay now by mistake.

Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

@AnthonyARG wrote:

Can someone explain why i keep recieving scam requests for money from people using paypal accounts?

Surely Paypal should have some filters in place or at least add a warning to the request like " This request comes from someone you don't know"

It would be very easy to accidently click on pay now by mistake.

Because Paypal allows a user to invoice any person with an email address, whether they have a Paypal account or not. This is a heavily used feature and Paypal has no way to "block" it unless they were to remove it. Your email address is likely publicly available if you have ever signed up for any app, service, or account. A great place to get an eye-opener is https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see all the places where your information has leaked out.

Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

To new posters:
-Advice from Paypal Support is inconsistent and sometimes outright incorrect.
-Neither your account, nor Paypal, has been "hacked" because you received an invoice.
-An invoice is NOT A DEBIT FROM YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT. You can simply not pay it.
-The WHO is not sending out unsolicited invoices for donations on any payment platform.
-ANY PAYPAL USER CAN INVOICE ANY human with an email address. This is a popular, heavily used feature of Paypal. Paypal allows invoice senders to use any logo or image they attach, as well as link to any website they wish. As you might imagine, this has potential for abuse, just as your physical mailbox can receive a fraudulent bill. Thus, no invoice should ever be trusted on this platform unless it is from a party you are expecting a bill from for the amount you expect the bill to be.
-A Paypal coding bug causes the cancel button to not work on the web. The invoice senders did not disable it. To cancel any unwanted invoice: At the end of the URL after you click the button to cancel the invoice manually type ?action=cancel and enter. Using the website, you should then be able to cancel this fraudulent invoice.

Login to Me Too

lkdement
Contributor
Contributor

Why am I getting a invoice from world health covid relief fund??? I owe them nothing.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lkdement 

Its a SCAM, just ignore it and don't pay it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jgeurls
New Community Member

I received a fraudulent invoice from "The W orld- COVID-19 Relief F und (5315)" as well....a scammer impersonating the WHO.

Login to Me Too

heywally
Contributor
Contributor

Me too. Don't ignore it, report it to Paypal

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@heywally 

You don't need to report it, paypal are well aware of the scam and advised folks to IGNORE it as its not genuine.

Anyone that has your email address can send you an invoice, does not mean you need to pay it OR that your account was hacked.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

heywally
Contributor
Contributor

Me too. Never received anything like this and it's a big deal. This can't be the real WHO ....

Login to Me Too

Dezy36
New Community Member

I recieved an invoice from world health organization but in the first part it says april <removed>. How many other people received this?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.