World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

cowan217
New Community Member

just received and invoice from paypal for a $35 donation to a Covid Releif fund that I know nothing about and didn't request - has THe World Hearlth Orinization logo on it- Have I been hacked or spammed ?

Login to Me Too

KristiAUH
Contributor
Contributor

I DID not authorize or agree to the 35.00 payment to this charity.  I'm UNABLE to cancel it or get in touch with Paypal.  Anyone have helpful advice.  I'm livid. 

Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

Read the thread. We've posted how to perform the cancellation several times. You have not been hacked. It's not from the WHO. Any Paypal user can invoice any other Paypal user, all they need is an email address. Calm down.

Login to Me Too

Shannon360
Contributor
Contributor

Talked to Customer Service, they said as long as I don't pay, it wont take money out, but I'd like to get rid of this bill/invoice.

Yes, I've tried cancel... Many, many times.. It simply takes me to the invoice information page. 
Yes I've tried clearing my cache.  I've also tried different browsers, and my phone.  Same result. 
I was also advised to block the sender, but they do not appear in my contacts page. 

Login to Me Too

Js8675309
Contributor
Contributor

LuluMamaSco
Contributor
Contributor

Shannon, I also tried all these avenues to cancel the invoice, from day one when I contacted Paypal who were of no help in doing so. They told me they would take care of it on their end at that point, but it is still just sitting there. 

Login to Me Too

Dazed_d
Contributor
Contributor

LuLu please see my reply to Shannon. Don't give up. I know it's frustrating. It took me good bit of time to figure it out. I shared what worked for me. Others have shared what worked for them. Keep trying each option. 

Login to Me Too

Dazed_d
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the USA & I found this workaround using Chrome on my laptop after quite a few attempts of trial & error.

From the invoice information page, go to your address bar on a browser & at the end of the address that is there add ?action=cancel without spaces & then hit enter or go. The cancel box should appear. Be sure to put something in the reason for cancelation section along the lines of "I did not request this invoice, I am not paying this invoice, I am cancelling this invoice" then hit the confirmation button. You should see a confirmation & it should send one to your email too. If you refresh back to the summary you will see the $ amount now has a strike through it & it will say cancelled.

It's also trial & error on this depending on your country. Translation may not be correct. If you hover over the cancel button on the Summary screen you should see the correct cancel string in the lower left corner of the browser. This can assist users in countries where English is not the primary language for browsing & are having issues.

As far as I can tell it cannot be cancelled from the PayPal app. It has to be a browser. I have seen other users have success using Android using Firefox or Chrome using my instructions. At least one Apple user posted that they had success. 

read back through the thread. There are many responses, many shares with my instructions but again you have to find the way that it will work for you.

To all of the community here- please share these instructions & do your best to assist others. Let's put a stop to this scam invoice. 

Login to Me Too

StaceyMac
Contributor
Contributor

Same happened to me. Instead, click on the invoice. At the top of the browser page, click on the END of the URL. Add this: ? action=cancel

The ? should be right next to the very last letter of the URL, then a space, then "action=cancel". Hit ENTER. A popup should appear giving you the option to cancel. It does work! This happened to me TWICE on Tuesday, one for $50, allegedly from WHO, and $100 from the I R S (yeah right). Worked both times.

Login to Me Too

LuluMamaSco
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Stacey! Your solution worked for me! Sad that PayPal could not help me through phone calls and emails and promises to remove from their end. Your simple solution worked and I am happy to have it removed.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.