World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

iought2bworking
Contributor
Contributor

There are a couple of excellent responses from other members here on how to fix this problem. I'm sure PayPal is not sharing information. Think about it. All you have to do to request money from someone is use try their email address, which can be harvested from many sites on the web. Some people don't use their email for their PayPal account, but most do and if it works, their in. I was frustrated at PayPal when I received this spam scam too, but then realized that the only way PayPal could do anything about preventing it would be if they screened every transaction. I don't think we really want them to do that, even if it was possible. Sadly, some people will pay the invoice because they either think it's legit or they think they owe it for some reason, but the majority, if paying attention, can either delete it (instructions in a couple of posts here) or ignore it. Hopefully, PayPal will get enough complaints that they can figure something out, but in the mean time, you are your own best defense.

Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
Except everyone says those excellent responses don't work, so there's that... 🙄
Login to Me Too

Fredrick12c
Contributor
Contributor

Is this a legitimate invoice?  I do not recall trying to donate to this fund.

Login to Me Too

Smurf244
Contributor
Contributor

I received this email in an account I haven’t used for more than five years, because I moved back home after living in the US. I definitely didn’t offer to donate on that account, regardless of how worthy the appeal may be. Something’s fishy/phishy...

Login to Me Too

ARS3
Contributor
Contributor
Same Here.
Login to Me Too

Ashnicolesantos
Contributor
Contributor
I also just recieved the same..no idea why this is being sent.
Login to Me Too

Prilbert
Contributor
Contributor

I also received this.  Does anyone know how to delete or remove it from your account?

Login to Me Too

lawandus
Contributor
Contributor
1. Click "Activity" from the nav bar 2. Scroll down to the transaction line item 3. Click the drop down arrow next to "Pay" on the right side of the transaction line 4. From the dropdown menu, select "Cancel" 5. A dialogue box opens up and allows you to cancel the request and also add a note
Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
There is no down arrow next to pay.... Maybe provide more info like what you're using to access PayPal and on what kind of device.. if you read the whole thread everyone says this isn't working for them because it's already been said to try this. The vast majority of people don't have the options you say. So what are you using? An iPhone? And Android? A computer? A web browser? What web browser? Etc....
Login to Me Too

Paulav01
Contributor
Contributor
I got one also. It is showing a pending payment but I didn’t authorize it at all, this is the first time seeing this! How do i stop it? It won’t let me cancel!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.