World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

jrjanis
Contributor
Contributor

It's not from WHO... it's from the United Nations Foundation. In fact, the WHO website clearly states that 

"The only call for donations WHO has issued is the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, which is linked to below.  Any other appeal for funding or donations that appears to be from WHO is a scam.  

Doesn't make it right - it's still unsolicited.  PayPal has some explaining to do.

It IS cancelable... go to your activity list and you will see a cancel button.

Login to Me Too

just_jill
Contributor
Contributor
It’s not real. It is a scam. The sender is not WHO or the United Nations. It’s a random human name that used the logo. That doesn’t make it real. Anyone can use a logo.
Login to Me Too

jrjanis
Contributor
Contributor

It's not simply use of a logo.  If you go to the United Nations Foundation web-site - which, apparently is legit - you immediately get a pop-up with a link to donate, and that link is the SAME link as in the invoice.  So, I don't know who's sending it,  and I can't tell you where the $50 would end up, but the link printed on the invoice is a link to the UN Foundation site.

Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

If you read this thread, you'll see how I have thoroughly explained this at this point.

ONCE AGAIN, for everyone in the back....ANY PAYPAL USER CAN INVOICE ANY OTHER PAYPAL USER USING ANY LOGO OR IMAGE AND LINKING TO ANY WEBSITE THEY WISH.  I have recreated the 'WHO invoice' myself and send it to another user that helped me test this. IT DOESN'T MATTER what logo and website are included in the invoice. 

Thus, no invoice should ever be trusted on this platform unless it is from a party you are expecting a bill from for the amount you expect the bill to be.

Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
Nope. Because if you go to that website you say it's to and scroll down it says .. the following, so the website is real but the invoice is fake . Please note: There have been some cases reported of people fraudulently presenting themselves as WHO or the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, and/or sending invoices requesting payment on behalf of the Fund. WHO, the UN Foundation, or the Swiss Philanthropy Foundation will never contact you for your credit card or banking details. Please see our FAQ to learn more about the ways you can legitimately give to the Fund. You may also report scams here.
Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
Nope it's a scam. If you go to the website that the invoice claims to be from and scroll down it says. Please note: There have been some cases reported of people fraudulently presenting themselves as WHO or the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, and/or sending invoices requesting payment on behalf of the Fund. WHO, the UN Foundation, or the Swiss Philanthropy Foundation will never contact you for your credit card or banking details. Please see our FAQ to learn more about the ways you can legitimately give to the Fund. You may also report scams here.
Login to Me Too

EzeePezee
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to cancel the transaction thankfully but I really do not like the fact that I got an unsolicited bill. This is a top level scam trick used by far less reputable organisations than WHO. Is this really the WHO then or a scam?

Furthermore, is paypal becoming more political in its dealings? If so I will have to leave as agenda pushing organisations are long term damaging to customers.

Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

As we have endlessly discussed, this is not from the WHO. Its from a random person, evidence now being from multiple random people jumping on the bandwagon. One of Paypals main, most popular features is that anyone can send a Paypal user an unsolicited invoice. It has nothing to do with them 'pushing an agenda' or any other right wing fantasies of opression. 

Login to Me Too

docPboston
Contributor
Contributor

I received this as well, cannot cancel the invoice so it remains pending.  Paypal resolution center won't let me flag this or dispute it. 

I think Paypal is behind the invoicing and it is their program.     It's enough to make me close my account that they would automatically send this out and not let you cancel or decline it.

If anyone figures out a way to remove or cancel this invoice please post details here.

Login to Me Too

SunnyDays
Contributor
Contributor

Does Paypal share their customer information and contact details with entities and other businesses? There is an unauthorized charge $20 disguised as WHO COVID-19 INVOICE received on Sunday, Aug.9. Albeit considered a political issue and supporting commercial vaccinations. How did they get hold of my (and your) Paypal account and my contact information and why did they remove $20 from my account without my permission? Perhaps it is "only" an invoice, but next to it it lists the amount as -$20, which usually means that my balance has been deducted by $20. That confuses me. Was the amount removed from my account? Paypal has made impossible to contact them regarding this matter. First of all the $20 charge or the invoice is absolutely unauthorized. Second, I choose whom I allow to send me invoices. Thirdly, there is no way to cancel or reject that invoice (or to get the $20 back). Only the PAY IT button and also next to it is a box asking for an extra tip! Fourthly, there is no way to verify who they really are and whether this is a scam. Paypal has endorsed them with their email and allowing this invoice into my personal space, but Paypal message also clarifies that unless I am addressed with my FULL NAME it may be illegit, and the message addresses me (and bills me to) by my email address instead. Fifthly, there is no way to contact Paypal regarding this INVOICE nor dispute it. Paypal states it is undisputable and they are unable to even take my complaint about this invoice. I tried all options available at Paypal.com. Upon visiting WHO website they state in writing that they never solicit funds nor their banking information from people.

"Please note: there have been some cases reported of people fraudulently posing as WHO or the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund. WHO, the UN Foundation, nor the Swiss Philanthropy Foundation will ever contact you for your credit card or banking details."

https://covid19responsefund.org/en/

Yet Paypal confirmation email received makes it look legit as if it was even endorsed by Paypal. A request to donate perhaps, as unsolicited email outside of a financial account such a bank or Paypal, but an Invoice and contact and account info of the customer provided to them by Paypal Inc.? This is not the first time Paypal Inc. allows a scam, a fraud or even a legit donation demand (invoice = demand!) to penetrate Paypal user's account with disrehgard to privacy and they offer no recourse or resolution on it. Just to mention I am with Paypal since year 2000.

Here is the COPY and PASTE copy of the invoice (with some parts obliterated for privacy). Pay attention to the "AMOUNT DUE" part!!:

Invoice Details

Add a Tip
$

SunnyDays_1-1597082190221.png

Response Fund for WHO COVID-19 Solidarity
COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund for WHO
https://covid19responsefund.org

INVOICE
Invoice #:
Invoice date:
Aug 9, 2020

Amount due:
$20.00

Bill To:

"myemailaddresswashere"
Description  Amount
COVID-19 Relief Fund
Help us to expand our water, sanitation, hygiene, and health programs to save more lives. As COVID-19 spreads, it poses a grave danger to communities with struggling health systems.
 $20.00
 Subtotal$20.00
 Total$20.00 USD

Notes

The world has never faced a crisis like COVID-19. The pandemic is impacting communities everywhere. It’s never been more urgent to support the global response, led by the World Health Organization (WHO).

Donations support WHO’s work, including with partners, to track and understand the spread of the virus; to ensure patients get the care they need and frontline workers get essential supplies and information; and to accelerate research and development of a vaccine and treatments for all who need them.

Some donations also support additional Fund partners UNICEF, the World Food Programme, the UN’s refugee agency (UNHCR), the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), and the vaccine development alliance CEPI.

Donors from Canada, China, Japan, or certain European countries, and the UK, may wish to give online to our Fund partners in these countries.

=================================================================================================================

UPDATE:

I finally found out how to cancel that invoice (by listing all transactions in a row, then a cancel option appears), which shows that it was a "legit" invoice powered by Paypal and sent by WHO, just waiting for WHO's confirmation response on that one. Disregard for customer's privacy of contact and account data! No wonder Pres. Trump canceled support for WHO and the Convid.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.