World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

Same her, $50USD Clearly a scam/fraud Reported it to scamwatch.com.au
Login to Me Too

midmofan
Contributor
Contributor

PP has been no real help with this at all, the reps -when you can get a hold of one - just say "ignore it" or "don't pay it." No help on the fact that you cannot cancel the item. Also no response on why PP has not removed these or how it is possible that this happened in the first place.

I emailed the WHO organization about the problem and included a link to several of the boards complaining about it, including this one. The WHO rep emailed me back several times. He said they had not been aware of this, that it IS a scam and that they would be contacting PayPal. Maybe that will get something done.

Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

Read my comments. It is possible because Paypal allows any user to invoice any other user. This is an insanely popular option with people like artists and small businesses because its free, they only pay the regular transaction fees. It allows users to attach their logo or image and link to their website. 76% of people pay these invoices within 24 hours. 

As you can imagine, this is rife with fraud potential. But they'll never get rid of it.

Login to Me Too

midmofan
Contributor
Contributor

No doubt others have sent false invocies in the past. That Paypal has a system that allows this and, at least as of now, is aware that it can result in fraudulent invoices makes for an interesting Class-Action suit.  Also what is different about this one is how the "Cancel" button has been disabled somehow. The reps keep saying just to hit cancel, but for me and many others that does not work with this "invoice" it just takes you to a pdf page with the invoice on it, it never cancels it. That has never happened to me before so it looks like the scammers on this one have somehow gamed the system to stop the cancel from working. The bigger issue is PP not removing these once they are aware of the scam, notifying those that got it, and - in a perfect world - refunding the money of those that got scammed.

Login to Me Too

LH129
Yes I got one for $50 I had a balance in my account from a recent sale on eBay and paid the 10% to have it moved to bank immediately before they take my money
Login to Me Too

revkhyler

I received this one too - on 8/15/20.  When I called PayPal about it I was given some vague answer.

I tried to press the Cancel button on the PayPal site for this invoice and it kept bringing me back to the invoice.

I alerted my bank just in case and took additional actions to protect my account.

Was anybody else unable to 'cancel' this invoice?

Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, several have posted the instructions for doing this on the website. 

Login to Me Too

CherylAM3
Contributor
Contributor

From another member: "When the page opens shpwing the invoice you need to go to the address bar & at the end of the address shown put ?action=cancel then click enter You will then get a cancel dialog box. Be sure to put the reason that you are canceling- that you did not request the invoice, you refuse to pay the invoice & are canceling the invoice. Hope this helps"

Login to Me Too

Jacqueline612

This worker for me!!

Login to Me Too

Jacqueline612

I received the same invoice on 8/15/20 but when I try to cancel the invoice it doesn't let me. Any one else running into that issue? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.