World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

lamelama22

I also just got a scam invoice for $50 from "Matthew <removed>" for the fake WHO COVID Fund.

On desktop; the cancel button doesn't do anything, it just takes me to the "Pay Invoice" page.

Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
Mind mentioning what browser you're using?
Login to Me Too

joannajetson
New Community Member

I just received the same scam. The invoice was emailed to me, saying "due on receipt," with a box to "view and pay invoice." It was sent through my Paypal UK account, but it's an invoice for $50 USD. It's showing up on my Account page as coming from one Matthew Kern, status "pending." I don't see any way to cancel it. I tried to report it through the Resolution Center but received an error message saying  "We're sorry, you can't file a case for this type of transaction" (presumably because it's just an invoice, not a payment). I've emailed Paypal and told them it's a scam and to cancel it. Everyone else should do the same, I think.

Login to Me Too

CherylAM3
Contributor
Contributor
I did the same and even tried calling. Got a recorded message stating that they couldn’t help with the problem. I received a message back that they are looking into it but not to worry about the invoice. They said they checked my account and it was secure. I just want it gone!
Login to Me Too

ibsandy2u
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal wasn't hacked. You can purchase lists containing thousands of email addresses on the internet pretty cheap and that's probably what this scammer did. Sending a bill to your paypal doesn't give the sender any access to your account or personal data. Some of the email lists sold come from data breaches and contain passwords. If you have used the same password that you use for your paypal password on other sites it's a good idea to change your paypal password. You should always use unique passwords for different accounts.  I hope this info relieves the stress some of you are feeling. 

I also received one of these invoices and reported it to paypal and the Who organization.

I received the following response from paypal....

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have reported the sender's account.

Go ahead and cancel the invoice.
Here's how to cancel a money request or invoice:
  1. Log in to your PayPal account.

2. Click Activity near the top of the page.

3. Find the request or invoice you want to cancel.

4. Select Cancel under "Actions."

5. Click Yes or Send Cancellation.

Login to Me Too

fairykind
Contributor
Contributor

To the people who can't delete, I escalated my chat complaint and FINALLY got this reply from tech support and it did work, I was able to cancel the invoice using this method

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention, please know that we are already looking into this and this looks like a bug that's why the cancel button is not working.

To cancel this invoice please follow this procedure.

At the end of the URL after you click to cancel the invoice manually type ?action=cancel

This should cancel the invoice that is showing as pending. I do appreciate as well that you have sent the email to spoof@paypal.com so our security team can check and track this people."
Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

@fairykind wrote:

To the people who can't delete, I escalated my chat complaint and FINALLY got this reply from tech support and it did work, I was able to cancel the invoice using this method

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention, please know that we are already looking into this and this looks like a bug that's why the cancel button is not working.

To cancel this invoice please follow this procedure.

At the end of the URL after you click to cancel the invoice manually type ?action=cancel

This should cancel the invoice that is showing as pending. I do appreciate as well that you have sent the email to spoof@paypal.com so our security team can check and track this people."

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

I figured this was some type of coding bug and it is. Follow the above procedure and you should be able to cancel it.

Login to Me Too

AZulu
New Community Member

Definitely a winner!  Worked perfectly!!

When the invoice came up I simply added to the end (with no spacing) of the URL

?action=cancel 

click enter 

DONE!!! 

Login to Me Too

g384
Contributor
Contributor

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Thanks very much; worked like a charm. 

I also added a "special message"--something about a suggestion to fornicate with one's self half of one thousand times.

Login to Me Too

CherylAM3
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much!  It worked!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.