World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

jrjanis
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like there might be different behavior on app vs. web.  This is common.  I'm using the web version and was able to cancel the invoice.  Some others have mentioned that they are using the app on their phone.

Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
Wow finally someone that actually has the common courtesy to mention at least part of their method for doing this. So we have another clue it's on the websitet hat people are getting it to work. We don't know yet if it's the mobile or the computer version and if they're using IE or Firefox or chrome but at least we have one piece of this puzzle. It's a webpage.
Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
They're probably using a different method of accessing PayPal, but nobody on here has the wits about them to go into that sort of detail.. they just go.. "worked for me" and hit send.m 🙄 so frustrating..
Login to Me Too

Ravenshoe
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone can send you an invoice, apparently.  All they need is your email address. Apparently this was a scam that started on EBay.

Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
If you just scroll down on the website the invoice links to it says at the bottom... Quote .. Please note: There have been some cases reported of people fraudulently presenting themselves as WHO or the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, and/or sending invoices requesting payment on behalf of the Fund. WHO, the UN Foundation, or the Swiss Philanthropy Foundation will never contact you for your credit card or banking details. Please see our FAQ to learn more about the ways you can legitimately give to the Fund. You may also report scams here.
Login to Me Too

JDWildChild89
Same here. Being asked for £50. Hope PayPal sorts it out.
Login to Me Too

TinmanTweetie
I also received this invoice from 'Ronee Dizon' for $50 dated August 14. I hadn't even confirmed my email for this PayPal account and the card on file is an old prepaid card with $0 balance. No activity on my account for 2 years, when I created it. I hardly remembered creating this account, let alone agreeing to send $50 to a help fund I have never seen before.
Login to Me Too

KRisten41
Contributor
Contributor
I just got one today, & it was for $50.00, still cannot cancel it, or even report it to PayPal. I’ve linked my payment options - something isn’t right with PayPal right now...
Login to Me Too

Hashmil
Contributor
Contributor

For those struggling to cancel it - try loggin on via the desktop. I too tried on my mobile and couldn't find a way to cacnel it. However, when i tried to log on using the desktop browser version i could see an option to cancel it, next to the pay button. (note: this is just what worked for me. It may be different to others...)

Login to Me Too

KRT688
Contributor
Contributor

Congrats on being able to cancel.  I am on my desktop and although the CANCEL button is there, no luck.  It brings me back to the invoice.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.