World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

Dottiegirl
Contributor
Contributor

I went to cancel the invoice, but there wasn’t one in my account.  So maybe Paypal is cancelling them?

Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
Everyone has already said this doesn't work. What device are you using? iPhone? Android? Computer? What app are you using? Web browser? PayPal app? Etc. For the majority of us clicking cancel just opens the invoice.
Login to Me Too

lovelycreations
Contributor
Contributor

Used Desktop Computer and Chrome Web Browser

1. Log In to Paypal 

2. Click on Activity

3. Click All Transactions

4. Look for Bill From _____ and on the dropdown menu on the right, click Cancel.

5. On the pop-up window, check if you would like a copy to your email and leave an optional note, click Cancel Invoice.

Login to Me Too

lovelycreations
Contributor
Contributor

1. Log In to Paypal

2. Click on Activity

3. Click All Transactions

4. Look for Bill From _____ and on the dropdown menu on the right, click Cancel.

5. On the pop-up window, check if you would like a copy to your email and leave an optional note, click Cancel Invoice.

Login to Me Too

Jtotheam33l
you need to click details on the bill, then on the far right... it will give option to pay with a drop down thingy, click the drop down arrow/pointer and then it'll have an option to cancel.
Login to Me Too

jking63
Contributor
Contributor
Tried that on the app and on the web site. The"Cancel" button takes you straight back to the invoice for payment. Tried it a dozen times. It never gives you an opportunity to actual cancel the transaction.
Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
Nope I don't have that. What device are you using? What app? A browser? An iPhone? A computer? A android? The PayPal app? Chrome web browser? Two tin cans and some string? An etch a sketch?
Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
Wow how nice of you to come on a thread where 100 people are complaining about not being able to remove something and providing them so much detail about how you accomplished the task like what device you used and what app and what steps.. you're such a great person we should all just send you some PayPal money. 🙄 😡...
Login to Me Too

jrjanis
Contributor
Contributor

I received an unsolicited invoice for $50.00 this morning, August 15th and, after reading this post and the responses, I did some research.

First, if it's not clear to anyone that hasn't already done so, the invoice CAN be canceled.  Click on Activity, then on the transaction, and then Cancel.  Be sure to send a nice message about why you're canceling!  Interestingly, PayPal would allow an issue to be opened against the transaction.  Not clear to me why that is but seems suspicious.

I looked the WHO web-site. According to them: 

The only call for donations WHO has issued is the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, which is linked to below.  Any other appeal for funding or donations that appears to be from WHO is a scam.  

This is not the same web-site that was in my invoice.

I did a WHOIS search on the URL that was in my invoice: COVID19ResponseFund.ORG.  Here is the results:

Domain Name: COVID19RESPONSEFUND.ORG
Registry Domain ID: D402200000012777850-LROR
Updated Date: 2020-05-05T03:50:31Z
Creation Date: 2020-03-05T15:33:55Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2021-03-05T15:33:55Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date:
Registrar: GoDaddy, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:

Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Registrant Organization: United Nations Foundation
Registrant State/Province: District of Columbia
Registrant Country: US
Name Server: NS-1120.AWSDNS-12.ORG
Name Server: NS-263.AWSDNS-32.COM
Name Server: NS-1829.AWSDNS-36.CO.UK
Name Server: NS-999.AWSDNS-60.NET
DNSSEC: unsigned

So I looked up United Nations Foundation.  When you go to their site you immediately get a pop-up for donations that takes you to the site that was in my invoice.  The UN Foundation appears to be real, however, the person's name on my invoice "Devante <removed>" appears to be fake.  The only Devante <removed> I was able to find is someone wanted for a hit-and-run in California.  There is a Leslie <removed> that is one of the VPs at the UN Foundation.  Unclear if these is a connection.

Bottom line... the UN Foundation appears to be real.  However, according to WHO this is not done on their behalf.  AND there's no denying that the invoices are unsolicited.  I do not know how the UN Foundation was able to send all of these invoices to PayPal users without their consent.  PayPal has some explaining to do, for sure.

Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

@jrjanis wrote:

I received an unsolicited invoice for $50.00 this morning, August 15th and, after reading this post and the responses, I did some research.

First, if it's not clear to anyone that hasn't already done so, the invoice CAN be canceled.  Click on Activity, then on the transaction, and then Cancel.  Be sure to send a nice message about why you're canceling!  Interestingly, PayPal would allow an issue to be opened against the transaction.  Not clear to me why that is but seems suspicious.

Again, this DOES NOT WORK for the majority of people in this thread. I do not know why people are reporting different behaviors of the website. You would think everyone would have a single, unified way the interface works. There IS a cancel button where the invoice is-as well as a side arrow >. Any interaction with this line item takes you to the invoice where the only option is to pay it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.