World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
Well it did appear to be phishing at first that was my first impression, but it's not... It's an invoice, and surely a scam. PayPal is really droppingt he ball on this BIG TIME. The whole purpose of PayPal is to feel more not less secure so with stuff like this and PayPal not taking care of it it defeats the purpose of having payal. I am considering cancelling my account now.
Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

One of the biggest appeals of Paypal is that anyone can create and send invoices for free, only the regular transaction fees are paid. The very design of Paypal now is 'user beware.' They have come a long way since we were beaming Paypal money to each other on our Palm Pilots over lunch in 1999.

Login to Me Too

EzeePezee
Contributor
Contributor

mee too, its very unnerving

Login to Me Too

klopp23
New Community Member

I received the same email this morning (8/10) and saw the unpaid invoice in my account. I was able to cancel the invoice so it no longer showed as an unpaid bill. Hopefully PayPal will catch this and cancel all the invoices before people get tricked into paying them.

Login to Me Too

LuluMamaSco
Contributor
Contributor

I tried cancelling the invoice but it still shows as "Pending"... so annoying and surprise Paypal has not jumped into action with it yet. 

Concerned now that this will become an access thing with lack of security with Paypal.

Login to Me Too

UnfairNothappy
Contributor
Contributor
I tried canceling the invoice it won’t cancel I tried calling and they hung up on me
Login to Me Too

ibsandy2u
Contributor
Contributor

@LuluMamaSco 

Here's how to cancel a money request or invoice:
  1. Log in to your PayPal account.

2. Click Activity near the top of the page.

3. Find the request or invoice you want to cancel.

4. Select Cancel under "Actions."

5. Click Yes or Send Cancellation.

Login to Me Too

midmofan
Contributor
Contributor

Those are the instructions they give you, but they do not work. For some reason, hitting the "cancel" button does not cancel. Chatted with several Paypal CSRs and they just said to ignore the invoice. No help at all on getting it off of my list or explaining how this happened in the first place or why PP not taking it down.

Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
Nope doesn't work, when I click cancel all it does is open it as if I had simply clicked on it to pay it. And the only option from there is pay.
Login to Me Too

User31313131
Contributor
Contributor
How did u cancel. Every time I hit the cancel button it just brings me to pay invoice screen.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.