Wireless Backup Camera Scam

Radamson55
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like I lose again.  I ordered a wireless back-up camera that was supposed to work with my cell phone display.  Payment was sent to Yin Menglin via Pay-pal.  I am hesitant to send an e-mail to Pay-pal as it's just another case of buyer beware, even though by now, Pay-pal has to know that this is a fraudulent account.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Radamson55

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
3.Click Dispute a Transaction.
4.Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
5.Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ssydor
Contributor
Contributor
Unfortunately I fell for this scam too. Ordered a wireless, solar powered backup camera that connect to my phone. They sent me a cheap wired camera (not solar powered, no way to hook up to my phone etc). The seller is **bleep** me around too. This is a bait and switch scam. They offered me 1/2 my money back after I opened a dispute. But I refused that offer, as I dont want this piece of junk, and it isn't even worth what they offered me. These cheap cameras sell for $7 (plus free shipping) on eBay. They have now offered me a refund , only after I ship it back to them. So I have shipped it back to them. I didn't ship it with a tracking number though, as that would have cost more than I payed for it. I am fully expecting the seller to say they never received it, and not give me my refund. They count on the fact that you won't ship it back to them with a tracking number (because of the cost). I really wish paypal would crack down on these shady online businesses.
Login to Me Too

ssydor
Contributor
Contributor
As an update, to add insult to injury... paypal has denied my claim because I didn't include a tracking number when I returned the item... i didn't ship it with a tracking number, because that would have cost significantlg more than the item was worth. But I did provide pictures of the the item packaged up at the post office, and proof of postage and receipts showing it was shipped. Very disappointed. Paypal obviously doesn't give a crap about these online scammers, or take this situation seriously. They are basically enabling these scammers to flourish online. Guess I'll stick to credit card purchases via Amazon from now on.
Login to Me Too

jlipsky
Contributor
Contributor

Definitely a scam operation, My backup camera that as supposed to be able to use my android phone arrived today. It is just a dumb backup camera for your license plate that needs to be hard wired to a monitor.  Live and learn. No more cheap Chinese junk for me. 

Login to Me Too

GOTBURNED
Contributor
Contributor

Advertised on Facebook and payment through PayPal. Clearly a scam! I received the same useless item. Contacted  seller and even sent a pic of wrong item. Still waiting!!!

Needs to be removed/banned from both!

Last purchase I will ever make for anything advertised on Facebook

Login to Me Too

calMike
New Community Member

I got a cheap camera that's not wireless and disputed the charges. Paypal asked me to return it at my expense and provide tracking info. I dd not want to spend one cent more on it besides the return address provided looked fake. When the time given expired, after fruitless contacts trying to explain my problem, Paypal sided with the scam seller. I am now contesting the charges with my credit card bank. It's disappointing that PayPal would give these clearly fraudulent businesses a platform and then side with them when charges are disputed.

Login to Me Too

SS65
New Community Member
Purchased what was supposed to be wireless but received the cheaper model that required wiring and a monitor! Disputed and PayPal had me send the unit back and send them the postal info. Then they closed the case saying I never sent them the info, so now I’m out the money and the crappy product.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.