Wig not as described from uwigs

deborah1231
New Community Member

I have just received a wig from Uwigs. It was described as being real hair. I paid £98 it is unwearable , cheap and can not be styled it is cheap plastic not real hair. Can I get a refund.

Many thanks

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

Sharontongart
Contributor
Contributor

I had exactly the same problem with Uwigs. I am a cancer patient going through chemotherapy. I saw their website, checked out some reviews, which were good, checked out that they were sent from the UK, they had a .co.uk web address so I thought I was fine. Even checked that they had a returns policy.

I paid £141 for two wigs, which when they arrived bore no resemblance to the wigs I had ordered, were a different colour and were all matted at the bases. I probably could have got something better from a joke shop for £5!

I contacted the company to return them and went through a week of...please try them again, we can send you more wigs for another £60,  or £40 or then £20, then we can give you back £20..etc..so I escalated the dispute through Paypal, and they turned it down!!!! Apparently my wigs were as described  or at least, they were wigs and not a box of chocolates. I have tried to appeal their decision, but get nowhere, they will not address the fact that this company is trading fraudulently and ripping off people. They must know that there are issues and could blacklist the company, but they will do nothing - not even answer my questions. I am disgusted with them!

Login to Me Too

FairyGardens
Contributor
Contributor

I should have done a little bit of research before I jumped online to buy a wig. I am having the same issue with ReWigs.com. The EXACT same issues and responses as the others on here did with uwigs. Fortunately I was able to get a refund through my credit union since I purchased directly from their site. I am looking for places to leave them a 1 star rating (already did so at sitejabber and trust pilot)

Login to Me Too

Nagina
Contributor
Contributor
I am in conversation with them. They won't give me a refund even though the wig they sent is not fit for purpose. Very frustrated at the tactics they are using.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nagina

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
3.Click Dispute a Transaction.
4.Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
5.Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JuliaYork
Contributor
Contributor

Nagina, I think the important point with these con artists isn't that their products aren't fit for the purpose - it's that they are not as advertised, and CAN'T be as advertised because they use stolen photos of brand name wigs they don't really sell. Have you tried doing a Google or Tineye image search on the photo of the wig you purchased?

Julia

Login to Me Too

dmd111955
New Community Member

You are absolutely correct and I noticed many of the facebook sites advertising these beautiful wigs are fraud. One thing they have in common is +852253885997    They are from China and the wigs are not fit for a mannequin to wear. I am in the process of returning based on the Purelace.com agreement but doubt very seriously if I will receive my money back. I have tried this twice and both sales were garbage. I am hoping Paypal will reject them from being able to use their service and logo. Many more have been ripped off than take the time to post. My suggestion is to call first. If you cannot reach them do not purchase. Sam beauty supply in the US is real.

Login to Me Too

JuliaYork
Contributor
Contributor

When I created my website www.chinesewigscam.com I noticed that although complaints about these crooks date back to 2012 there has been a big increase in dissatisfied customers since 2016. Bearing in mind the blatant fraudulence of Uwigs and other very similar sites (some of which I've discovered were registered with names and addresses stolen from unsuspecting members of the public ) I'm appalled that PayPal still allows these conmen to use its services. Copyright infringement, falsely claiming to be based in the UK or USA, absurd lies about mass-produced wigs being "custom-made", shoddy merchandise - how much does it take for PayPal to pull the plug? And don't get me started on the fake reviews, many of them plagiarised from the websites of reputable wig retailers! After I registered a complaint about www.howigsau.com it was taken down by the Public Domain Registry for COUNTERFEITING, a charge which could be levelled against every one of the Chinese wig scammers. It's heartbreaking to read the comments left by cancer patients on consumer sites such as sitejabber and pissedconsumer - the criminals behind this con must be making a fortune out of people with life-threatening illnesses.

Login to Me Too

KMaid
Contributor
Contributor

I have now escalated my claim for a refund. I am not hopeful. Maria - has since contacted me via my e-mail address to say that she has been speaking to her manager and can give me a £15 refund. Who are they kidding. I paid £121 and I can't wear it as I'm allergic. I am so cross. I am disabled and cannot afford to lose that money and also to buy a replacement. 

Can anyone advise on a reputable company? 

Thanks 

Karen

Login to Me Too

Fl00se
Contributor
Contributor

Have you checked out Julia's web site www.chinesewigscam.com start quoting stuff that she has written.

They are asking me to pay £40 so they can make another wig to resolve the problem with the first wig.  I spent £102, the wig is nothing like the picture and is definitely not real hair.

They have already admitted that the return address they use on the package has nothing to do with them - I didn't need this confirming because I've already made the trip to the address - fortunately for me it was only 10 miles away.

Stay positive - you always have PayPal as a last resort.

Login to Me Too

JuliaYork
Contributor
Contributor

Karen, the following are reputable UK-based companies: SimplyWigs, Wigs4You, Natural Image Wigs, Wig Store UK, Hothair, Joseph's Wigs.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.