Wig not as described from uwigs

deborah1231
New Community Member

I have just received a wig from Uwigs. It was described as being real hair. I paid £98 it is unwearable , cheap and can not be styled it is cheap plastic not real hair. Can I get a refund.

Many thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nagina

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
3.Click Dispute a Transaction.
4.Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
5.Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@deborah1231

Hope its not from China  Smiley Frustrated

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
3.Click Dispute a Transaction.
4.Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
5.Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Sharontongart
Contributor
Contributor
I opened a dispute with this company. Because of poor quality wigs that I wanted to return for a refund. I got nowhere, so I escalated it with Paypal and they decided against me! I now have 2 rubbish unwearable wigs and am £141 poorer. Thanks Paypal. Will be taking this further. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY THEY ARE FRAUDS
Login to Me Too

JuliaYork
Contributor
Contributor

These people are crooks!

Last week I purchased this wig from uwigs.co.uk:

http://www.uwigs.co.uk/grey-wig-with-capless-cropped-length-boycuts-wavy-style-skuhw11080.html

It was an impulse buy – I don't need a wig, I was just looking for an easy change of hairstyle – and I didn't look too closely at the website, assuming from the address that the company was based in the UK. On the following day I was dismayed to come across this:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/uwigs.co.uk

The wig had already been despatched so it was too late to cancel my order. I had another look at the Uwigs site and discovered, as well as lots of very poor English, copyright infringement on an industrial scale – most, if not all, of the photos depicted wigs made by reputable manufacturers such as Tressallure, Paula Young, and Raquel Welch. A Google image search revealed that the wig I bought was a Tressallure model:

https://www.voguewigs.com/emily-wig-tressallure.html

I emailed Uwigs and confronted them with my findings. “Becky” replied that negative reviews were “normal”; she ignored my comments about the photographs. A second email elicited the comment that the photos were provided by their suppliers.

From the Uwigs website:

Q1. Is the picture on your website exactly the same as what I'll receive?

• Theoretically speaking is it! But we do not rule out the frequency of computer display and the extrusion during shipping bring in some differences. If this happened, we suggest you take care the wig first then wear it. If you can't do it well, you also can go to a professional hairdresser.

This is clearly nonsense. Uwigs is using the old bait and switch con – tempting the customer with a picture of a good-quality product and sending them a cheap imitation.

Q12. Do you sell Designer or Brand Name wigs?

• We sell Brand Name wigs

I can think of only one reason why Uwigs would make this statement; potential customers who recognised Raquel Welch or the models used by Paula Young and Tressallure might be fooled into thinking that Uwigs can sell brand name wigs cheaply because they buy them in bulk from the manufacturer.

Q1. Are you based in the UK? Do you have any store in UK?

• We base in the UK. But we mainly do marking through network, so there is no store.

They also claim that their “headquarter is located in Australia/Europe/Hong Kong”. Uwigs don't provide an address in the UK but there are two addresses in China:

DaYu Hair Factory, <removed>, Shandong Province, China

<removed>, Luyang District, Hefei City, Anhui Province, China

The Uwigs website was registered on the 19th of January this year but I could find no further information. However, a search for the DuYu Hair Factory revealed a connection with WigSis, another scam with hundreds of dissatisfied customers which claims to be based in either the UK or the USA.

Literally EVERYTHING about the Uwigs site is a lie. The company name is given as UWIGS Global Co Ltd, but needless to say there is no such company registered at Companies House. Most of the reviews don't even apply to the wig in question (and there are no bad reviews). They claim to own “13,000 salons, mainly in Europe and the USA”, yet a photo of one of these alleged salons was stolen from the website of a wig shop in Texas! The photo of their conspicuously non-Chinese “Wigs Expert Team” appears to have been photoshopped from several stock images. Much of the website's content has been plagiarised from online articles or reputable websites.

The wig I received looks like something you can buy for £10 from a fancy dress shop...and I paid £67 for it! Having got nowhere with Uwigs, who completely ignored everything I said about the illegality of their operation, I'm taking the matter up with PayPal. It sickens me to think of the money these crooks are making from cancer patients looking for reasonably-priced wigs.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JuliaYork

Always best to click on contact info on a strange website, if they are scammers then you don't get full contact info or returns info all you get is a 'website' option to email them, big giveaway.

Also avoid buying on social media where these Chinese websites flourish.

You may well win your dispute but the cost to return it at your own expense may be more than you paid so if you funded that Paypal payment via a credit card then my advice is to do a chargeback via your card issuer.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JuliaYork
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! I'll bear that in mind. 

Login to Me Too

Sharontongart
Contributor
Contributor

I had exactly the same problem with Uwigs. I am a cancer patient going through chemotherapy. I saw their website, checked out some reviews, which were good, checked out that they were sent from the UK, they had a .co.uk web address so I thought I was fine. Even checked that they had a returns policy.

I paid £141 for two wigs, which when they arrived bore no resemblance to the wigs I had ordered, were a different colour and were all matted at the bases. I probably could have got something better from a joke shop for £5!

I contacted the company to return them and went through a week of...please try them again, we can send you more wigs for another £60,  or £40 or then £20, then we can give you back £20..etc..so I escalated the dispute through Paypal, and they turned it down!!!! Apparently my wigs were as described  or at least, they were wigs and not a box of chocolates. I have tried to appeal their decision, but get nowhere, they will not address the fact that this company is trading fraudulently and ripping off people. They must know that there are issues and could blacklist the company, but they will do nothing - not even answer my questions. I am disgusted with them!

Login to Me Too

JuliaYork
Contributor
Contributor

I'm so sorry that you're being put through this.

I'd like someone from PayPal to answer this question - why are you partnering with Uwigs when the company

a) used a stolen name and address to register its website domain

b) falsely claimed to be a limited company

c) falsely claims to be based in the UK

d) uses a photo of a Dallas wig salon to represent one of its "15,000" non-existent stores

and, most importantly,

e) USES STOLEN COPYRIGHTED PHOTOS OF BRAND NAME WIGS BUT ACTUALLY SENDS CUSTOMERS WIGS OF JOKE SHOP QUALITY? I've spent many hours on Uwigs and similar sites trying to identify where their photos came from. If they don't depict brand name wigs they are of the kind used by hairstylists to show different hairstyles. The remaining photos show celebrities who aren't wearing wigs - the inference being that the customer will get a wig that looks like the celebrity's hairstyle. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE COMPANY TO SUPPLY WHAT IT FALSELY ADVERTISES.

As I said on my website www.chinesewigscam.com, judging from the complaints against Uwigs and its sister company WigSis most dissatisfied customers were happy with the help they received from PayPal. But I have come across cases in which PayPal found in the scammers' favour, and these decisions seem to be totally arbitrary. I've come to the conclusion that it was MY determination to get a full refund and not return the wig that resulted in the happy outcome of my case, not PayPal's involvement.

A list of Chinese wig scammers using .uk domains: Uwigs, WigSis, Wigsbuy, Howigs, Yourwigs, Ewigs, Nextwigs, Prowigs, Wigshow, Rewigs, DIYwigs, Sheswigs, Lacewigsbuy, Wigsstyle. Wigsstyle is currently selling a joke wig you can buy on Amazon for £11.89 for £62, "reduced from £149". And of course you can buy it with PayPal.

Reputable UK wig retailers include: SimplyWigs, Wigs4You, Natural Image Wigs, Wig Store UK, Hothair, Joseph's Wigs.

Login to Me Too

KMaid
Contributor
Contributor

I bought what I thought was a human hair wig. As soon as I put it on, I knew it wasn't as I started to burn up. I'm allergic to acrylic. 

I've contacted them to request a refund and 'Becky' tells me its human hair and she'll make me another for £85. 

I've already spoken to trading standards, or something of that ilk. But what next. 

x

Login to Me Too

JuliaYork
Contributor
Contributor

I got a full refund! My correspondence with "Becky" can be read in my new website dedicated to exposing these crooks: www.chinesewigscam.com. I don't know if you've noticed, but www.uwigs.co.uk has now vanished - the website was taken down by the Public Domain Registry for using a stolen name and address to register its domain! Alas, there is an almost identical www.uwig.co.uk poised to take over scamming duties.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.