Why wont paypal unlock my account and give me my money

Dwscott27
New Community Member
I made a paypal account for my son who is 17 so he can sell his shoes on ebay and I am his mother. He sold one of his shoes and got $140 but it is locked on ebay. It won’t give me the money because I put his birth date on the account because I made it for him so it is saying the account is locked because he is a minor and it needs more information. I have sent my id and his id to show that I made the account for him and I did not know this was an issue. Its crazy that they even let him get money with the account being locked. This still has not been resolved and it has been for over a month. I want to get the money and it cannot be locked forever.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dwscott27 

The account was made for a 17 year old and one has to be over 18 years of age, period, to own and operate a PayPal account so PayPal user agreement was violated. Student or child accounts were done away with years ago. You aided and abetted as a parent. At least, open the account under your name at the time and you can give the funds to your son when the sale is completed successfully (with no disputes), til the cows come home. It's too late now. The funds will be locked until the son has reached their 18th birthday and he can contact customer service to issue another account and transfer the funds to it, if allowed by policy and applicable laws, etc.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.