Why does paypal protect fraudulent Chinese sellers?

petercdobbs
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal lost my trust today.

I purchased an expensive item from a legitimate looking website. I paid using PayPal because it provided purchase protection in the event that a seller is a scam.

Well, I got scammed. My order finally arrived months late and the item in the box was not anywhere near the marketing promise. In fact, I subsequently learned that the marketing video and specifications were from another website and the seller had simply copied their content.

Reaching out to PayPal for the protection was great until I was told I had to ship the item back to the seller, in China. That cost $140. I didn't create this issue, I didn't post a description and video of a product that is clearly not what was delivered to me. Why should I carry the financial burden of returning the goods? Why is PayPal protecting scam sellers from China?

I am concerned that PayPal is not the trustworthy organization I believed them to be.

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

Capnbooboo
Contributor
Contributor

Its worse then you think, according to Trump and intelligence authorities,  China has infiltrated the United States with a tiny portion of corrupt politicians, no need for a coupe, they have the country by the **bleep** and even want Trump out with the media....the fight between corrupt politicians and greedy ones is taking place  as I type..no doubt

Paypal itself is not sponsoring crooked Chinese merchants, its some people within paypal who favour, take bribes and protect the interests of certain venders possibly because of the communist party itself or because they are working for themselves inside paypal and should be reported.

My issue is that I cant ever raise a claim in the resolution center if its a CHINESE merchant and after researching this idea about China been crooked etc I found out 8 other people also noticed that the resolution center will end up in a loop hole, return back to the beginning over and over and when asking in the message center about this I get automatic replies instead of a person writing back with a real explanation or to help open a case, I tried to with a number of browsers as well as computers (PC and MAC) and I can confirm its not a bug!  

I should mention that one person who was sharing screenshots later found out paypal actually REMOVED HER EMAILS containing promises to rectify an issue!, same with me 6 months ago!, they removed the emails saying they will rectify any problem no doubt even if too much time passed because they UNDERSTOOD that a lockdown took place involving the post office as well, yet they remove these messages and claimed too much time has passed.

Login to Me Too

scottyinco
Contributor
Contributor

I filed a complaint with the FTC today against the seller and PayPal.  I advise you do the same.  PayPal needs to be held culpable for providing the platform for these Chinese vendors to swindle consumers.  I also filed a chargeback with my credit card, but part of it was paid with a PayPal balance which I'll never see again.

visit www dot ftccomplaintassistant dot gov

Login to Me Too

Capnbooboo
Contributor
Contributor

The FTC won't do anything at all, they only report identity theft to creditors which will in fact return to freezing your own credit and possibly bank account temperately, they are in on the racket as well!

Login to Me Too

pmk7541
Contributor
Contributor

Yes PayPal needs to be held accountable.  I will no longer use and would like to help get the word out about what they're doing.

Login to Me Too

Taly2
New Community Member

I had the exact same issue. Provided all the proof of the website being a scam. Cost of goods $80. Cost of shipping back $150. What a joke. And that website is still going about and using PayPal to do their scam to other people. I have contacted the news and won't let this go. 

Login to Me Too

StephLee1984
Contributor
Contributor
It’s absolutely ridiculous they side with these phony companies!! Where is the Pal? In PayPal? It’s a complete joke they way they do their disputes. Total waste of my time
Login to Me Too

Wronged
Contributor
Contributor

Update:  I've since had many similar transactions, not as bad, but stressful none-the-less.  The short answer I believe, to almost every entity protecting the seller, is that they have to abide by protocol.  I don't understate the common employee and their job (and not even sure what that entails with many), but it is the protocol that is set, and underlying "common" occurrence which seems to have become more of a foreign majority marketplace, and protect until proven guilty... so to speak.  Like the justice system here in America , which paypal and even ebay I've found as well by this point, welcome foreigners (like the foreign refugees we protect).  Don't even get me started on the government & all kickbacks and favors for "face value" and how the economy is boosted.  Heck, Covid19 has lost America well over 12 million jobs but the US dollar still rises.  Wealthy influence?  Foreign impact?  Everyone is and has been in bed with and in survival mode with anyone that they can afford to in order to protect themselves.  The wealthy put their money in foreign banks for safety, but still invest in companies like ebay because commoners need it, or other companies like pharmaceuticals right now.  All of this includes the entities themselves, and the influence within their corporations, and the value given to shares, and every last individual within the corporation, which in America.... requires minorities.  It's very possible, and seems on MOST days when in conversation with paypal or ebay (for starters), that you are not even speaking with someone who can even comprehend everything you are saying (I certainly can't understand half of them), let alone can they empathize with you, especially if they escaped a greater meager government.  And those of us making complaints do so because we can't afford to lose this money, and maybe we couldn't afford the product elsewhere and took the risk... but the impact ("greater in numbers") just isn't seen.  We have to do more due diligence because we have more to lose.  The majority will always be protected bottom line, and where money is concerned, like the way currency markets move... we just aren't the majority where money is concerned.  And I'm just not sure who the majority is that controls protocol in any company in America anymore...  from the auction marketplace, to the company itself.  It seems we in America, especially low to middle class, have become the minority no matter culture or race.   They are immune to our inconvenience.  I also want to note, with Ebay... you are dealing with anyone and everyone who can easily be shut down with enough complaints, but they just open up another store.  Same with Amazon but they have stricter adherence and assume more liability.  You can even return straight to Kohls without even packaging back up and get a refund right away, at least last I dealt with a couple months back.  You get what you pay for, and in this day and time, it seems you have to pay more up front for any "true" buyer protection through a company that assumes that liability, because you are paying more for the legal department to deal with them AFTER you get your refund.  I just stopped dealing with paypal and ebay altogether.  But if you do take the chance you sometimes just have to assume the risk yourself, so I'd make dang sure you are at least not pirating the manufacturer (benefiting from sales for half or less the product value just don't happen without risk), or at the very least be ready to dispute through your bank if something goes wrong.  And if you are prepared to pay full price?  JUST DON'T use them.  Heck most manufacturers offer discounts on your first order at least.. and you get an idea where and who their distributors are after that.  For that matter be careful with all the Amazon competitors coming up & branching out with foreign sales.  Some work with you but it sometimes takes a while & not only do you want your money back (and even feel you are owed more for all the stress), but you still might need that money first in order to replace the product you need to return.  Just adding to notes here for any that it helps.  Regarding the filed complaints I haven't done so... maybe my skepticism right now has me thinking like much of the time spent debating with these entities, I might be the minority as well.  I'm not against it.... I've just wasted a lot of time and compromised my health dealing with so many formative and promising departments and what I thought were reputable foundations we could rely on that I need to hear from someone else regarding the promise of any help.  It's all become like some Sci Fci or War movie about secret Government experiments not even the bureaus are aware or can do anything about... all run by the wealthy.   Short of war (within the US)  with some of these people, it seems hopeless.  But that's why this is so long.  I just feel everyone reading this thread might could benefit.  

Login to Me Too

Loreedarlin
Contributor
Contributor
I agree! You can't even upgrade your dispute to a claim if the seller says they'll refund your money WHEN THEY RECEIVE THEIR PRODUCT BACK and shipping back to China or Hong Kong costs $22.95 for 2 cheap plastic spray bottles!! No way, totally stupid and obvious scammers so if PayPal sides with JIADI Co., Ltd and I lose my $51.98 I will close my account and post my negative reviews all over Facebook, Twitter. etc. Consumers need to be warned that PayPal is in the fraudsters pockets.
Login to Me Too

Capnbooboo
Contributor
Contributor

💵💵$$﹩hope the symbols appear clear enough for you, no need for bail outs when everyone can simply rob us

Login to Me Too

Capnbooboo
Contributor
Contributor

I believe paypal has an office in China who investigates their own side of the matter, they can see and share things we can't...but..but...there is a but...

And that BUT is that papal always wins financially, so with that said the answer is clearly that they are making money from all this, both Paypal and the victim of fraudulent counterfeit merchandise or simply deceptive merchant practices.

Only pressure on politicians to ban the practice can change this....bu when you fallow the chain of action you will find that US politicians are in bed with China, literally in the business of cheating the American public regardless of been a democracy or republican, the fight is about making their own money, not service to those who voted for them, you really think that  poor people voted for a democratic president are getting issues solved for them? not.. lol, they are in fact getting worse treatment, more immigration issues...and told to take care of it themselves, so keep chasing your case and dont give up.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.