Why does Paypal side with fraudulent sellers?

libyanballa
New Community Member

In the past (about a year or two ago) paypal allowed a fraudulent seller sell me a pdf that was someone elses....there is absolutely no reason why they sided with the seller as I contacted the author of the pdf and he wasnt aware the seller was selling his copyrighted material!

for the dispute, the seller showed a screenshot of email message where he attached the pdf but the dispute team didnt even bother to open the pdf.

This seller defrauded me  of 800US$ for this pdf 

How could this happen? Why does paypal claim to have a buyer protection program when they dont honestly even check the "proof" on both sides?

To this day I am still mad and as far as I am concerned I have to hold paypal accountable because their buyer protection is just a gimmick. when I needed it, they did the oppossite and helped someone defraud me!

BUYER BEWARE! PAYPAL DOLES OUT ITS DISPUTES TO PEOPLE WHO COULD REALLY CARE LESS AS THEY ARENT PAID ENOUGH TO CARE AND WILL COST YOU MONEY! (LIKE IT COSTED ME 800USD)

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

ToneGrail
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar thing happen. I ordered a Ninja Foodi Grill from a site called vicomes.com which only accepted PayPal as it's payment method.

The seller (Le <removed>) provided a stolen tracking number. 

PayPal didn't even bother to inquire if the tracking number was valid. I had to call UPS and they told me that he wasn't the shipper on the tracking number and I wasn't the recipient. The only thing that matched were the origin and destination zip codes.  For privacy reasons they wouldn't disclose who the recipient was but they assured me that I wasn't the one named on the tracking number. The shipper listed on the tracking number was some company in the same zipcode as the seller but not him.

PayPal would not look into this any further and told me I needed some kind of formal letter from UPS stating the destination address attached to the tracking number which they would not provide for the privacy reason stated above . So PayPal ruled in favor of the scammer, who is most likely operating from Vietnam with a fake USA address.

Luckily I used my credit card as funding source and filed a charge back and explained the situation to them. They credited my account immediately and said that the credit will become permanent if Le <removed> neglects to respond with proof that the item was delivered to my exact address (which he cannot do) within 2 billing cycles.

If I hadn't used my credit card as a funding source I would be SOL.

PayPal is well aware of this common scam but has done nothing to address it. It appears that some bean counter upstairs has determined that the money they make from fraudulent transactions like this far exceeds the money they lose from credit card charge backs and that the cost of actually pursuing and shutting down these scammers isn't worth their time.

I will never use PayPal after this experience.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.