Why does Paypal let buyers extort sellers and win?

DOminiatures
Contributor
Contributor

I had a buyer that said one of the items in their order was broken. Right from the start they said they wanted to keep it and make the easy repair and wanted me to refund half of their money or they would just let PayPal refund them the whole thing. The package was insured, so I asked her to return the item and I would issue a full refund and pay the return shipping. She said she did not want to have to go to the post office so she was not doing it. I just needed to refund her half of it. I called PayPal and they suggested I do whatever the buyer was asking or they would side with her on the case because that is how it works with items not as described. Apparently the buyer gets to keep the item and get a refund from PayPal if they open a case with PayPal. The guy told me even if the lady returned it, she could return a rock and still win the case. He let me know in no uncertain terms the buyer wins the case. I believe this is ridiculous because I could have gotten my money back since it was insured. He told me this is making lots of thieves out there. Apparently when they learn they are able to do this, they continue to do it to people. I believe this is awful business practice for PayPal and not fair at all to the seller. I should at least be able to get the item returned, fully refund her and then I could make the insurance claim. I am so done with PayPal. Going to another payment method and just taking credit cards. Has this happened to anyone else here????????

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DOminiatures 

Another customer services call centre agent talking rubbish then.

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute IF paypal find in favour of the buyer then NORMALLY the buyer has to return the item back to you trackable to prove delivery BEFORE you have to refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DOminiatures
Contributor
Contributor

That makes more sense to me. I have already given the buyer what she wanted and am just out the money. I am going to just start taking credit cards and another form of payment. I don't think I trust Paypal anymore.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.