When to request a refund

fausto74ita
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I would like to share my situation with an item I would like to return. I have received a projector which doesn't match the owner's description: he promised a brand new lamp but actually there are 1190 hours on it. He doesn't agree with the return and so I would like to ask PayPal for help. I live in NYC but I am now abroad until the end of November. I guess that if I request a refund through PayPal and they approve it I have immediately right away mail back the projector, right? I am wondering if I should request for refund sooner than the end of November and ask a friend in NYC to mail back the projector on my behalf. Or can I wait until then to do it in person? I would really appreciate any kind of suggestion and help in this matter. i would like to avoid possible mistake and jeopardize a clear request of refund.

Thank you,

Fausto

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fausto74ita 

You have 180 days from date of payment to dispute a payment. 

A concern is, if you wait to dispute, the seller can make assertions to PayPal about why you wait so long to report Significantly not as described, as a defense and PayPal may rule against you on the premise that this is warranty or buyer's remorse issue since you technically had the item for a while by the time you got back from abroad to report it. 

If you file dispute right now, escalate to PayPal asap for them to step in and make a ruling, and you'll have to respond to dispute/requests for information from PayPal and return item in a timely manner as that is one of the requirements in winning a dispute. I believe PayPal gives you ten days from date of ruling for you to return item to provide return tracking number on the case.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fausto74ita 

You have 180 days from date of payment to dispute a payment. 

A concern is, if you wait to dispute, the seller can make assertions to PayPal about why you wait so long to report Significantly not as described, as a defense and PayPal may rule against you on the premise that this is warranty or buyer's remorse issue since you technically had the item for a while by the time you got back from abroad to report it. 

If you file dispute right now, escalate to PayPal asap for them to step in and make a ruling, and you'll have to respond to dispute/requests for information from PayPal and return item in a timely manner as that is one of the requirements in winning a dispute. I believe PayPal gives you ten days from date of ruling for you to return item to provide return tracking number on the case.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.