When is buying a stolen service, inadvertently, ok?

Nick52p
Contributor
Contributor
I recently bought security for my laptop, after seeking help from Canon regarding installing printer software . After checking my account I discovered what I bought belonged to someone else. I paid for four years of security and got c300 days. I messaged the security company and they informed me my service in fact was not mine. I contacted the people I bought it from and the person was most belligerent because I had just complained to PayPal. PayPal then informed me it was not an unauthorised payment. So it’s ok to buy stolen goods, is it PayPal? Can anyone please suggest what I can do next?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nick52p 

No, it is not ok. You just chose the wrong reason to dispute under. Unauthorized activity is for when someone breached your PayPal account and used it without your knowledge or permission. You knowingly or unknowingly paying a scammer does not qualify so their software system returns a ‘not unauthorized activity’ result. You can change your dispute to significantly not as described through customer services and make it clear in the new case that you were sold stolen digital goods/account/service. If you happen to lose the case because, I dunno, PayPal believes you were sold a digital account and received digital account, (Their protections do not cover warranties or as described but not meeting your expectations reasons.), or you can’t possibly return a digital good physically with tracking (but there are those who are crafty enough, will burn the account info on a disk and send it), you can file a chargeback through your card issuer instead if that is how you paid.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nick52p 

No, it is not ok. You just chose the wrong reason to dispute under. Unauthorized activity is for when someone breached your PayPal account and used it without your knowledge or permission. You knowingly or unknowingly paying a scammer does not qualify so their software system returns a ‘not unauthorized activity’ result. You can change your dispute to significantly not as described through customer services and make it clear in the new case that you were sold stolen digital goods/account/service. If you happen to lose the case because, I dunno, PayPal believes you were sold a digital account and received digital account, (Their protections do not cover warranties or as described but not meeting your expectations reasons.), or you can’t possibly return a digital good physically with tracking (but there are those who are crafty enough, will burn the account info on a disk and send it), you can file a chargeback through your card issuer instead if that is how you paid.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Nick52p
Contributor
Contributor
Oh thanks for your help. I did try retrospectively to change my ‘dispute’ but it keeps coming up dispute settled and won’t let me open anew one. Doesn’t seem to be any human contacts either, with whom to explain my case.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.