What is the point of a paypal when they knowingly enable scammers and offer no protection

mdl65
Contributor
Contributor

After being the latest person in a scam PayPal know about, and continue to let the fraudster operate on their platform, I am now liaising with a US investigative journalist who is already looking into how PayPal are utterly complicit by enabling it to continue...we are going to have a zoom call next wk. My initial response to PayPal’s first attempted fob off: I encourage you to act like a reputable company that cares about the protection of their loyal customer base, which is already eroding based on the reviews I am reading online. As well you know, there isn’t any contact details for these scammers at Xingyao e-commerce ltd, but to make matters worse, when I try to contact them through the contact link they provide in the order detail in the PAYPAL APP, it goes to, guess who? Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. (I’ve been told to remove the PayPal email address) And there is no other contact details on the web, again, as well you know. So as a registered PayPal supplier, YOU, PayPal, confirm to me, an alternative contact address for these fraudsters, surely you must have a genuine contact detail for them? The biggest thing that frustrates me, is not your indifference, it’s how you’re complicit in all of this. There has always been / always will be scammers; but the financial platform to enable customers to buy their goods, is meant to provide consumer protection. That’s the only reason I ever used you, otherwise what is the point of PayPal. And yet you knowingly enable these scammers to trick and con people out of their hard-earned money, at a time of an unprecedented global catastrophe when people can least afford to be scammed, where every purchase is carefully considered. Paypal are utterly complicit and should be thoroughly embarrassed and hanging their heads in shame. Paypal are knowingly enabling the very customers they are supposed to protect, to be scammed, then trying to distance themselves from the inevitable fallout, advising customers to take ‘partial refunds’ rather than return the goods due to covid 19 caused shipping delays. When I have exposed this, across the media, and financial watchdogs, and have my full refund, I will close my PayPal account and only use a credit card again. I’ll be sticking with amazon in future, until eBay start using their own proprietary payment platform, which I believe is coming. PayPal have fully refunded some customers, it seems, and without having to return the useless merchandise to China at great expense. But it seems only those who are tenacious and shout loudly. I will also be complaining to Facebook, who provide these scammers a shop window for their ‘goods’, with stolen photos of products they have no intention of ever sending. And no reference to China. This is the second time I have been scammed in 2 weeks, it’s enough to put people off buying online. And you’re enabling it. You must be so proud!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mdl65 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mdl65
Contributor
Contributor
Good advice, thank you 🙂
Login to Me Too

Shameonpp
New Community Member
I had same experience as you, I think there are thousands of us. The price of returning items to China is more than double of what you get back. Paypal actively helps these scammers and offers no personal support. They dont answer to my emails, to my calls. It is not about this 80 USD It is about explotied Trust from paypal. Did your journalist made any story about this? I would love to support it.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.