What does paypal do to protect their users from scam and fraudulent companies? Not much apparently.

MarjanC
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal does not do much to protect its users from fraudulent companies selling products that are either fake or never arrive. It's a shame. I have been a victim of scam twice on this platform. I am seriously considering stop using PayPal because I don't feel my payments are secure.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MarjanC 

Paypal give you 'some' buyer protection as per the user agreement, as for the rest its up to you to risk assess who you purchase from.

Beware of these.......

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pocahontas69
Contributor
Contributor
Nothing we were scammed and they just froze our funds and we are the one filing the dispute its insane.
Login to Me Too

GalwayDude
Contributor
Contributor

As far as I can see paypal do nothing.

Twice over christmas I purchased items and paid through paypal.  Both times I received COMPLETELY different products than advertised.  

Reviewing the pathetic Paypal dispute system.... all I can say is paypal is facilitating these scams.

I'm sticking to Amazon from now on.

Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

In a way thank goodness it’s with PayPal. Could you imagine if you had paid thru other means? Western Union transfer for example?

Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

pocahontas69
Contributor
Contributor
Ummm.... how is it any different?? PayPal won't help the ones being scammed.
Login to Me Too

pocahontas69
Contributor
Contributor
I don't blame you they have made so much money off of us they are idiots
Login to Me Too

GalwayDude
Contributor
Contributor

Me too, I'm sticking to Amazon and Ebay and paying by Credit card from now on. I'm DONE with paypal. They are facilitating these scammers and are profiting from it. Paypals dispute mechanism is beyond a waste of time. Crap Company.

WOW- I've 'earned' a return 'badge'... give me a break!!!

Login to Me Too

Sylv1963
New Community Member
They do nothing! Pretend to go through the process . Dispute having absolute proof of a fraudulent sale , months after reporting they advise I complete an affidavit including printing and uploading which I complete the very next day. Go to send and am advised Case is closed ( so in fraudulent sellers favour !) Who says crime doesn’t pay!!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.