What do you do when Paypal shuts down your account, keeps your money and debit card details ?

Speedialer
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I have no idea but it's the situation that I have found myself in !

I set up a PayPal account to sell items on eBay. After a couple of weeks I received a message from Paypal stating that they closed without stating the reason. See the screen shot below. The money is blocked in the account for what appears to be at least 180 days and I cannot remove my debit card details. The day it closed I did a live chat with customer service which resulted in no further information.

Can anyone provide any solution for recourse I am shocked at the way I am being treated.

I do not want to use Paypal any more - my trust is broken - I just want my funds returned and my debit card details off the system.

Thanks

Screenshot 2019-03-29 at 19.27.29.png

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Unhappy13
Contributor
Contributor

Same happened to me and I had to wait the 6 months for MY funds to be released to me. Sorry to say even after that you will not be able to unlink anything, I have tried over and over and check every so often and still cant unlink anything. Never gave me an answer of what I did wrong. I had PP for years and then all of a sudden bam shutdown. I thnk it should be illegal how they hold money and wont let us unlink of info. I do know they had a civil suit they lost years ago. Maybe that is what needs to be done again.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Unhappy13 

@Speedialer 

Paypal holds your funds for 180 days as that is the same timefrthat buyers have to open paypal disputes.
So if no disputes are opened against you in 180 days then you are allowed to withdraw the funds.

Secondly they limit your account to stop you removing any cards or bank accounts and being tempted to open another account and linking them to that account against their rules.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Txfye
New Community Member
I started selling as a hobby but after losing my job as a school social worker decided to jump in as a full time seller on platforms such as eBay. I’ve had PayPal for 10 years and suddenly without contacting me or anything just abruptly shut me down. I am stunned. Who treats their customers this way?? The first girl on customer service thanked me for contacting them and said 1-3 days it will be back, at 3 days in I call back and another girl says no there is nothing you can do. What!?!?
Login to Me Too

Urfan1982
New Community Member
Is there another alternative to paypal ?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Urfan1982 

Lots of payment processors but whether your seller or buyer wants to use them is another matter.

Try google for a search as some are more popular than others.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.