What Happens when Paypal Grants a Return Request when there is Zero Dollars in one's account?

David_Akita
Contributor
Contributor

I've been a member of EBay and PayPal for years but have decided that sometime this year I will no longer be selling items on EBay.

This presents and interesting scenario.   Once I've stopped selling items on EBay, I will bring my PayPal balance to $0.00.    EBay's policy is that items can be returned within 30 days for a full refund if not as described or damaged.   Paypal's Return Policy (with buyer paying for return shipping) is 180 days.  This is the dilemma.

Can someone explain to me what happens if my account has $0.00 but within that 180 day time frame that I've stopped doing business on EBay, a Return Request comes through PayPal and PayPal Grants the return?   Since there are no funds in the account, there is nothing to "HOLD".   From what I have been able to read on PayPal . . . they will attempt to collect funds but when they can't, well, I don't know what happens.    Does my account get into the negative?     They can't access funds from my checking account without my permission?   They cant's charge my credit card without permission? 

I don't understand the ramifications of  a potential Return through PayPal with a zero balance.    

Some might say that funds should be in the account to cover that 180 days.   But my reaction to that is why should I essentially give someone $$$ to hold for 6 months without earning any interest?   The money isn't put on HOLD by PayPal for 180, so why should I worry about?   

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.