Well crafted "Cyber Sale" Scams

Cybertheft
Contributor
Contributor

There are multiple new cyber scam sales out there.   I was not paying attention and became a victim.   I am now hoping PayPal will help us all.  Details are below.  

Step one - user does Google product searches (my real example DeWALT 20V 5Ah Blower Kit - This weeks Rural King price $219.99) and finds a deal that seems too good to be true - Price $99. Step two - Weak but legitimate looking website is doing the sale. Business owner and contact information is in Missouri/USA. This same company through Google searches is selling much of the DeWALT product line.   Step three - Customer pays vendor through Google search link and PayPal.

Warning number 1 - PayPal payment went to an individual - not to a registered business name (not the vendor in the Google searches). Warning number 2 - Product is not named in the "thank you for your order" receipt from the website.  Warning number 3 - no tracking information is provided as part of the order shipment.  Warning number 4 - vendor's website does not directly sell anything but baskets.  Warning number 5 - vendor's website is the subject of multiple internet searches. It has an established reputation of NOT selling but SCAM selling many things in the method I described above. Warning number 6 - email to vendor receives no reply. Phone number provided on website has no answer and a full voice mail box.

Attempt for help from PayPal number 1 - Provided this information to PayPal in a payment dispute. Vendor somehow sent PayPal a tracking numbers showing that something (I have no idea what it was) was sent from 30 miles from my house (in Kentucky not Missouri) directly to the post office 6 miles from my house then to my house.  PayPal closes the dispute saying USPS tracking information was provided. I have no idea what was sent to me (maybe a envelop with junk mail inside that I threw away) but it was certainly not $214 worth of DeWALT products.

Attempt for help from PayPal number 2 - created this case again for PayPal to re-evaluate.

Note to PayPal - I don't need the $99 but you will end up paying your employees thousand of dollars working on this and other similar situations . By denying my refund of $99 and not looking into any of the details associated with this well crafted SCAM you are helping cyber criminals siphon money from PayPal as well as your customers.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.