Was this Transaction Refundable for the buyer?

kheck04
New Community Member

I had sold an item via ebay to a friend for about 80 dollars and I had set that it was shipped with no tracking number and it had been 38 days and the package had gotten lost so after the 38 days i issued him a refund but my question is Would he have been able to charge back this payment on his own or would paypal have taken my side because of how long it took for him to complain even though it was after ebays 30 day claim because it was 38 days before he had complained that it never came in.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kheck04 

Ebay and Paypal have 2 separate buyer protection policies.

With Ebay a buyer only has 30 days BUT with Paypal a buyer has up to 180 days to open a dispute for non receipt of item.

You can send a item with no tracking but its at your own risk and not the buyers and you would lose any Paypal dispute if you did not provide trackable proof of delivery to the buyers paypal registered address. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

J-3
New Community Member

Thanks for the answer kernowlass. Unfortunate we already talked to a representative who said "In this scenario I will refer to the validity of the information provided in supporting your side as a seller" and somehow he thinks that since I went past the 30 days and didn't make a dispute it counts as supporting his side as a seller because even tho he never sent anything since ebays policy says he did his part as a seller that paypal has to honor that policy. I know this is a dumb argument but a lot of money is on the line here.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.