Was scammed on Ebay by new seller, but I don't understand how the scam works

ano3082
New Community Member

I purchased a scanner from a new ebay seller. The seller opened his account a few weeks ago, and had 0 reviews. However, he had several items up for sale, mostly office equipment. He was selling them at good prices, but not ridiculously low prices, so I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and purchased the item. A few days later, the item still hasn't shipped and all the other items from his store have disappeared. Now a new seller has popped up selling the same items, but under a different name.

I sent a message, but no reply, now I'm waiting until the scheduled delivery date passes, so I can file an INR case and get my money back. But what I don't understand is why are they doing this? Doesn't ebay hold payment for 21 days for new sellers. I purchased the item on May 1, I'm going to open an INR on May 15 and there's no tracking or attempt to ship the item, so how does this scammer plan on making money from this??? Why is he going to all this trouble?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.