Was I Just Scammed?

HYates1213
Contributor
Contributor
Ok. I know i messed up, but please read fully. I started to buy some items from a seller named "Marie" on eBay. Marie appeared very nice as she we agreed to make payments through PayPal invoices. We kept in contact via email for about 4 months. She gave me a phone number just incase, and an alternate email. Everything was going well. Around the last few payments she asked if I could do a friend's and family payment as it was costing her a lot to do the invoices. I had paid her $2500 of $2600 and asked for the last to be invoiced. She said she'd get the invoice to me that evening. That's the last i heard over a month ago. The number she gave me was disconnected and ive sent multiple emails to both that she gave me. I googled her and found her on Facebook and another phone number, only to be blocked less than an hour later. She lives in Tennessee and I'm in Missouri. I still have all the emails, invoices, and transactions. Can I get police or investigators involved? Or PayPal? Should I call the number?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HYates1213

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute.
You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately again as it was a 'gift' of money they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

HYates1213
Contributor
Contributor
Not all of it was through friends and family. There was about $1500 as actual invoices that she made with "product will ship later" and gave the actual details of the totals and such. What about those?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HYates1213

Then you should be able to open a dispute for non receipt of item for those purchases?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.