World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

tonsoftreasures
Contributor
Contributor

C'mon Paypal!  If you are going to allow someone to send an invoice to any email address, then you darn well better have a way for the recipient to cancel that invoice!!

Login to Me Too

ctplan
Contributor
Contributor

To cancel the invoice, go to Activity, and it should show as Pending at the top of the list, and you can Cancel from there.

Login to Me Too

charlestonkatie
New Community Member

That fixed the WHO Invoice.

Logged in on paypal:

click Activity at the Top

Then there will be a place to cancel it

That was pretty unnerving that people can just send me an invoice.  And a lot of time I just pay it bc I've usually done the activity... glad I was paying attention!

Login to Me Too

MrRutledge
Contributor
Contributor

I also receive an invoice on my paypal account from a Davante <removed> WHO organization covid 19 relief. This person was billing me for $50.00. This is a scam. I have contacted E-Bay/Paypal 3 times since yesterday 8/15/20 without any help. PayPal HELP just says to ignore it. Where is the cyber security?? If this continues without help from e-bay I will cancel my e-bay account. E-Bay do you hear me??

Login to Me Too

MrRutledge
Contributor
Contributor

It might help to report this incident to your state attorney general's office for PAYPAL's lack of response and also for enabling a scammer to conduct fraud upon paypal customers. No different than robbing a bank. That's the way I look at it. Also, contact your personal bank and give them heads up on possible fraudulent charges  to your account.

Login to Me Too

sueq12
New Community Member

I received one from an April <removed>. I cancelled the invoice.

Login to Me Too

Brandonl1
Contributor
Contributor

I also got one from April <removed> too

Login to Me Too

ctplan
Contributor
Contributor

To cancel the invoice, go to Activity, and it should show as Pending at the top of the list, and you can Cancel from there.

Login to Me Too

bcjammerx
Contributor
Contributor

I have a $20 charge from yesterday (sunday which makes it all the more suspicious)...I submitted a complaint but paypals auto service said I couldn't do so on that kind of transaction and forwarded me to the guidelines.  I NEVER approved any charge, I didn't click any fb links, I didn't text any numbers...and again this was on a sunday.  Is this a legit charge or just them asking for funds? 

When I clicked the info it said

Response Fund for WHO COVID-19 Solidarity
- negative $20.00
yesterdayInvoice ReceivedYour invoice is waiting.

I clicked cancel but it just took me to the invoice, which reads as follows;

invoice is as follows;

Response Fund for WHO COVID-19 Solidarity
COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund for WHO
<removed>

INVOICE

Invoice #:
Invoice date:
Aug 9, 2020

Amount due:
$20.00

Bill To:

[i deleted my email here]
Description  Amount
COVID-19 Relief Fund
Help us to expand our water, sanitation, hygiene, and health programs to save more lives. As COVID-19 spreads, it poses a grave danger to communities with struggling health systems.
  $20.00
  Subtotal $20.00
  Total $20.00 USD

Notes

The world has never faced a crisis like COVID-19. The pandemic is impacting communities everywhere. It’s never been more urgent to support the global response, led by the World Health Organization (WHO).

Donations support WHO’s work, including with partners, to track and understand the spread of the virus; to ensure patients get the care they need and frontline workers get essential supplies and information; and to accelerate research and development of a vaccine and treatments for all who need them.

Some donations also support additional Fund partners UNICEF, the World Food Programme, the UN’s refugee agency (UNHCR), the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), and the vaccine development alliance CEPI.

Donors from Canada, China, Japan, or certain European countries, and the UK, may wish to give online to our Fund partners in these countries.

Login to Me Too

bbaltz
Contributor
Contributor

I received this exact same invoice but as far as I can tell it is just an invoice and I was able to cancel it.

I gotta say though that someone being able to use Paypal to send mass-invoices to random strangers makes me really uncomfortable using Paypal at all now. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.