WARNING - UPCLICK / AVANQUEST ARE USING PAYPAL TO SCAM YOU.

johnripa
New Community Member

HELLO ALL

WARNING

AVANQUEST USES UPCLICK TO SCAM YOU.

AVANQUEST OFFERS YOU A "FREE TRIAL" OF THEIR SOFTWARE PRODUCTS 

IF YOU DO THIS THEY PUT YOU ONTO A YEARLY SUBSCRIPTION FEE EVEN THOUGH YOU NEVER AUTHORISED THE PAYMENT.

BE CAREFUL OF THE SMALL PTINT.

THEY HAVE NOW TAKEN OUT 2 X $54AUD EVEN THOUGH I HAVE TRIED TO CANCEL THE ACCOUNT.

I ALSO TRIED TO LOG ONTO MY AVANQUEST ACCOUNT BUT THEY DID NOT HAVE MY EMAIL ON THEIR SYSTEM - PROVES I DO NOT HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM.

I HAVE SENT ALL THE INFORMATION TO PAYPAL BUT THEY HAVE SIDED WITH AVANQUEST?

I AM SENDING OUT THIS WARNING.

HAVE A GOOD DAY. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

KoSAchilles
New Community Member
I am having this same problem right now! How did you resolve this and what is upclick/Avanquest?!? Hope to hear from you I'm feeling so stuck right now
Login to Me Too

Olesjamyfriend1
Contributor
Contributor
Hallo! Auch mir ist der Betrug passiert, als ich arglos ein Treiber update von UpClick/Avanquest kostenlos aus dem Internet heruntergeladen habe. Hätte ich das nur geahnt. Sie rechnen nun zum 2. Mal den Betrag von 15,97 Euro ab ohne dass uch überhaupt ein Abonnement bestellt hätte. Zumdem ist nach Installation der Software mein Rechner abgestürzt und 10 Jahre Fotos auf der Festplatte sind weg. Betrug!
Login to Me Too

PerrY9703
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly my experience

Login to Me Too

Macca17
New Community Member

I have had a similar experience. I purchased their photo software online. The link for the software activation does not work and they will not activate the software. Their support line rang me on a Russian phone number and wanted to use log me in to access my computer (how dangerous is that?). They have used Paypal to charge my account and it just looks like a scam.

Login to Me Too

LT2021CK
New Community Member

Hi,

I've just experienced the Avanquest scam - and yes the reoccurring payments is in my PayPal account - very, very naughty Avanquest.

PayPal really need to stop these untoward businesses carrying out these underhand tactics.

My story on the back of this is that my antivirus alarmed at the download link...here is the rest of the story...

I too clicked on the download link but instead of opening a standard download page or immediately downloading the full file or those small files that then start the installation - the download took me to a screen asking for -

1 . bank card details.

2 . or an order number (there isn't one with your online order)

3 . or password (you don't have the option to setup a password when you purchase their software.

Hmm so I can't just download my software - I am presented with 3 impossible options - but wait a minute suddenly a customer help chat screen pops up from nowhere!!!

I explained my problem and the customer service agent sent me a link and I downloaded it and immediately my antivirus alarmed...

A PUA:Win32/SpeedingUpMyPC virus flagged up

I immediately requested a refund to my PayPal account from the customer service agent.

The customer service agent replied with -

As requested, I have issued a refund in the amount of 187.98 GBP
Please allow 5-7 business days for the funds to appear in your account (Note: some international banks may take longer to process this request).

You will also receive a confirmation email regarding this refund within the next 24 hours; please make sure to check your Junk, Bulk or Spam folders if you do not receive your confirmation email within this period.

Now that reply came in seconds - so I'm guessing that a lot of other people have had these problems and the customer service agent is just copying and pasting all day long...

In future I will always check PayPal forums before purchasing software from a new company I haven't dealt with before.

Thanks to those that have posted before - I'm hoping that my post might also help others before they fall foul of the mighty Avanquest scam...

I will come back and let you all know if my refund actually arrives.

Kind regards

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.