Victim of a £4000 eBay scam - advice needed

Hollywood-thing
New Community Member
Hi, First post here as I’m looking for some help with my situation. 2 days ago I purchased a camera on eBay costing approx £4000. I paid with PayPal and my linked funding source was a debit card. PayPal charged my bank the 4K and it has left my balance. The buyer marked the item as dispatched on Friday night (the day of purchase). They have not uploaded any tracking info, stating that they “will send you the tracking no as soon as it's dispatched and I have the info from the courier service“ About 20 minutes later they sent me the following message - “I've just got an info text message from PayPal that you have been informed to confirm the payment because it is a large amount and it's for our protection. Did you get it?“. Obviously by this point I was suspicious and asked them to show me the text, to which they replied - " The payment for Leica SL2 47.0MP Mirrorless Camera and 24-90mm 2.8f Vario Lens Requires Final Confirmation. Confirm your payment. There was then a bit.ly link. Obviously the link is a scam PayPal login and I did not enter any information into it. Since I told the seller this they have stopped replying to any messages. My question is, what is the best avenue to getting my money back, as it has now left my bank account entirely? This was a business purchase and I cannot afford such a fiscal impediment at the moment. I know ‘item not received’ would seem most appropriate - but what if the buyer just sends an empty box with a tracking number? Can I then change the claim to item not as described? And who should i open a claim through -eBay or PayPal? All help appreciated.
Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.