Unreasonable requests for a dispute

Franniban
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered a set of crockery and received a plastic ring.  I'm now being asked to return this piece of plastic to China in order to receive a refund.  How is this reasonable or fair???

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Franniban 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

If you buy from a business in the UK then you can normally recover those return costs via the small claims court although most UK businesses would reimburse you anyway. (BUT if you choose to buy from a private or international seller you may not have that option).

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Franniban
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, 

It's not the cost of the return I object to.  I was buying a set of crockery and got sent a plastic ring.  Clearly a scam.  Why should I return a plastic ring with no intrinsic value to get a refund on something that was clearly not going to be sent in the first place!

Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Exactly, PP's requirement for buyer/victim to send back worthless item in an obvious scam is laughable (would be funny if not true). Need to contact customer service in what ever method you can, chat seems to work best for most. Plead your case to the rep and be persistent.

This hurts not because of the money lost, it's the insult of having PP throwing salt on the wound.  

Login to Me Too

Franniban
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly that!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Franniban 

Which would mean that every buyer that received an item that they did not want anymore could just say that they received something completely different and so get out of having to return it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

No argument regarding PP has to be fair to both buyers and sellers. It's a hard balancing act to be sure, but PP is in the business and making money from the business, it's their job to ensure fairness and to come up with workable solutions. The way it is now scammers are running wild and victims have no recourse. You are levying sarcasm that is not valuable. You have vast knowledge of how PP works, please use it in positive manner. Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.