Unknown email address comes up when I try to reset my password.

mamayannis
Contributor
Contributor

My husband opened a PayPal account and gave the name of the account to people who deposited funds into that account. Then he decided to change the account name to a yahoo.com rather than a gmail.com account and went ahead and opened the same name account but at yahoo.com. He notified everyone else he had done so. But 2 people had already deposited money into the first gmail.com account. When he went to transfer those payments to the yahoo.com account he forgot the password. In trying to reset it, it asks for you to be notified with an email; but - here's the kicker - the email address that comes up for that gmail account is completely unknown to him.

I have tried to contact customer service repeatedly by the hold time is usually 45 minutes or more. Can anyone help?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mamayannis wrote:

My husband opened a PayPal account and gave the name of the account to people who deposited funds into that account. Then he decided to change the account name to a yahoo.com rather than a gmail.com account and went ahead and opened the same name account but at yahoo.com. He notified everyone else he had done so. But 2 people had already deposited money into the first gmail.com account. When he went to transfer those payments to the yahoo.com account he forgot the password. In trying to reset it, it asks for you to be notified with an email; but - here's the kicker - the email address that comes up for that gmail account is completely unknown to him.

I have tried to contact customer service repeatedly by the hold time is usually 45 minutes or more. Can anyone help?

Did your husband when giving the "name" or email address out to people who deposited funds into the account initially give out the password too? If these "people" have full access to the account then they can log into the account to add and remove email addresses. Since this email address is unknown to you, you cannot get access to retrieve password. Did your husband link a credit/debit card or bank account to this gmail email address account? Was this account for an organization/business or was this PayPal account to be used as a personal account? 

Don't take this the wrong way because it could just be you didn't know how PayPal accounts work but PayPal accounts are a real financial instrument. People link their bank accounts and credit/debit cards to it and PayPal tracks identity information on their user accounts for security and for regulatory law purposes and if someone louses up the account and your name and financial info is connected to it can mess up your record on file with PayPal. It can get you blacklisted and you can never use PayPal again if the account is compromising to PayPal's business. 

Do not give out log in information. If someone is to send you payment, they need their own PayPal account and you just provide the PayPal email address for the sender to send money to. If your husband is now trying to get access to retrieve the money that was supposed to be deposited, who knows if it is still there or not. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.