Unknown SP Two LTD transaction

BillyOh
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone come across SP two LTD?  My daughter was almost in tears this morning after receiving a charge for £4.50.  If she wanted to cancel she had to do it through paypal. I saw that SP Two Ltd had planned to take this out weekly.  My Daughter is adamant that she never signed up to anything like this and doesn't know the company.  She does everything through her phone.  I couldn't find a way to cancel this through her phone app.  She uses biometrics to log in and had forgot her password for the desktop.  After a lot of effort on my part with my desktop I managed to help her.  I think I have managed to cancel the payments for her.

I have a few questions.

Does anyone know of SP Two Ltd and their tactics or come across related scams and have a solution?

Why can a person download the paypal app; create an account through the paypal app and not have full access as within the desktop environment to make changes?

Should palpal offer a service to a company like this?

Here are a few related links.  Looks like they have started again.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/sptwo.com

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

<removed>

https://community.giffgaff.com/d/21515803-scam

Login to Me Too
62 REPLIES 62

BillyOh
Contributor
Contributor
SP Two Ltd is what is called a subscription trap. There are a few suggestions here for you to claim back the money. Firstly you should contact Phone Paid Services Authority about this issue who are the regulator for content, goods and services charged to a mobile phone. Here is their web address- https://psauthority.org.uk/ Any transactions can also be disputed through Paypal if you did not give authority for them. Please see attached guidance about how to do this – https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/customer-disputes-claims-chargebacks-bank-reversals This trader should also be reported to Action Fraud - https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
Login to Me Too

Emski-_-
Contributor
Contributor

Great advice from BillyOh. They never did send me the SAR information but i did get both charges refunded.

My daughter is under 18, and should not have been able to sign up for PayPal, as much as I monitor my children's activity online PayPal was definitely not something I thought I would need to worry about - her account has been closed and she we have discussed what she should and shouldn't be doing online.

All that said, why aren't the access controls stricter when apps and sites are for over 18's? Last I checked you enter a DOB or tick a box declaring you are over 18, which seems ludicrous.  Most of us at one time or another have tried to pass for over 18 - but it would have been in the local off license lol & may have needed fake ID, no I have no idea how to get one and definitely didn't 30 years ago.

I am going to email my MP and ask for providers to put in tougher regulation to ensure kids aren't targeted, there are probably plenty out there who weren't even aware they had been scammed.

As a side note, i just checked my phone bill (i have 6 EE / Apple devices and found I had been paying £10 pm for apple music for 3 years without knowing, so it isn't just kids! It was a mistake on their part so i have a nice £300 coming back to me lol.

Don't give up, keep emailing and being a pain in the backside, get your SAR in, they are bloody horrible to do & i have had to comply in my workplace - it is cheaper time wise to refund you £5. If they don't comply report to the ICO, you can also report frauds, unwanted calls, emails and texts. I have at least 3 a week I report & they face million £££ fines if they are contacting you without explicit consent. ALL unsolicited personal emails, texts & telephone calls, by voice or by auto call.

Make a complaint | ICO

Essay over! good luck.

Login to Me Too

Demiijanee97
Contributor
Contributor
I’ve literally just had this happen to me so I’ve reported it but I dunno what else to do x
Login to Me Too

Emski-_-
Contributor
Contributor
I can’t believe they are still doing this! Contact them directly and ask for a refund, make sure you check your PayPal and cancel any subscription that they ‘claim’ you have agreed to. I hope you get your money back. Just don’t give up, I emailed everyday u til they refund both of the charges they had taken.
Login to Me Too

Demiijanee97
Contributor
Contributor
I’ve reported it and cancelled it they emailed back saying someone will get In touch with me within 48 to “discus my query” I’m in the hospital waiting for surgery and I went to the shop in here to get some essentials I needed for after my surgery with my last £10 and I didn’t have enough so checked and that’s when I saw they had taken £4.50 today no idea what it is or anything x
Login to Me Too

Pammie357
Contributor
Contributor
It is something to do with PayPal and being able to get £750 and if u click on it it’s like uve already signed up to some weekly or monthly scam payment . I lost £20 odd pounds to them before I found out . Can’t someone STOP these people ! — Pamela . Please let site know if ugly anywhere . £2
Login to Me Too

BillyOh
Contributor
Contributor
Log into PayPal on your pc and cancel immediately. Then ask for your money back. Check previous posts for more answers.
Login to Me Too

abdurrehman666
New Community Member
How do I get the charge to go away.
Login to Me Too

BillyOh
Contributor
Contributor
If you are being charged through paypal. Using pc you should be able to log into your PayPal account and cancel there. If the charge was added to your phone bill I assume you should have been sent a text that allowed you to reply with STOP or CANCEL. The phone part I cannot be sure of as my daughter didn't have this problem. Her monies was leaving through paypal. Previous messages may have answered this.
Login to Me Too

I have received lots of messages from these I have just had another one I keep sending emails but nothing my bill is £90 now.I don't know how to get rid of them and the bill I went to my bank to stop them taking anymore money Rachael.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.