Unfair Paypal dispute and chargeback fee

PSWISH
Contributor
Contributor

Please can you advise on this situation?  I am an eBay business seller and I sold two scarves to a buyer who paid £8.99 per scarf.  A few weeks later, the buyer logs a dispute via Paypal saying that her  payments to me were unauthorised.  She does not contact eBay or me directly to complain or to report that the scarves have not been received.  She simply goes direct to Paypal.  I send Paypal evidence that she made the purchases through eBay but I can't supply postage evidence as I use Royal Mail untracked service for scarves.  So, without giving me any opportunity to resolve the problem, Paypal has decided that I must refund the buyer 2 x £8.99 and has charged me £14 x 2 chargeback fees!  This money ( a total of £45.98) has now been taken from my Paypal account!

I am really cross about this. Surely, the buyer should follow eBay procedure by raising a case with eBay to give me the opportunity to send replacement scarves or to refund her?  It seems very unfair to me.  

Any advice on this topic would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PSWISH 

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, however as you chose to send untracked then you did not meet the seller protection criteria.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PSWISH
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thank you for the info, that's really helpful.  Im a bit sceptical about whether Paypal go to the trouble of checking IP addresses etc.  Isn't is more lilkely that the buyer simply forgot she had placed the order or was trying to get her money back?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PSWISH 

Yes they check IP addys and devices to determine if it was unauthorised or not.

An unauthorised dispute means a clients paypal account was hacked and used without their consent, the only way paypal can determine if its true or not is to check ip addys and devices normally used.

If those are not consistent with the account holder then paypal finds in their favour.

You did say she filed an unauthorised dispute and it wasn't a chargeback via her card issuer?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

PSWISH
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - thank you so much for the info.  I have checked my records and I have an email postage receipt that shows I sent the two scarves to the customer at the address that was on her Paypal account.  Surely if it was fraudulent, the fraudster would have contacted me to ask for the scarves to be sent to an alternative address and I have no record of this happening.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PSWISH 

If her account was hacked the hacker would have changed the address or paid using a gift address (which you would be unaware of).

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

PSWISH
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your advise thus far.  I have received this message from Paypal:

A £14.00 GBP chargeback fee has been debited from your PayPal account.  If the financial institution decides the case in your favour, we'll notify you when the payment is returned to your PayPal account.

Can you clarify what this means for me please?  How likely is it that the £14 chargeback fee will be returned to me?

Many thanks

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi @PSWISH

I am sorry to hear that a chargeback has been filed against you. The £14.00GBP chargeback fee is a fee that is charged to cover the administration costs of disputing this payment on your behalf. The is a non-refundable charge. I would imagine the email that you received was referring to the actual payment that is being disputed. 

I hope this helps clarify things for you. 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

mparker777
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal charged me 250 yen to transfer money into my bank account. They then said my bank details were incorrect, but deleted these details immediately so I couldn't check. They then charged me AGAIN for refunding me the money. That's 550 yen charges for NOT doing the service I asked for and then deleting any information I would need to correct the issue. TERRIBLE SERVICE! I'm furious.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.