Unfair Buyer protection policy

ProDave1
Contributor
Contributor

<p>I bought an item and paid by PayPal. It was not obvious when ordering, that the item was coming from China.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>After a few weeks it had not arrived so I opened a PayPal Item not received dispute. (the seller had already not answered requests about the order)</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>During the correspondence through the dispute process the seller sent some delivery information, and a few weeks later a package did arrive but it was the wrong item.&nbsp; I had ordered a rechargable electric tyre pump for &pound;25 but they had sent a cheap manual bicycle pump worth about &pound;5</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Paypal then changed the case to "item not as described"</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The case resolution dragged on for months, I don't know why. But now they have offered a resolution.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>They want me to sent the wrong item back to the buyer and provide proof of it having been delivered by 29th October.&nbsp; There are two issues with this:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>1) it will cost me &pound;15 or more to post it to China by a tracked service.</p>
<p>2) There is no way it will arrive and thus be shown to have arrived by 29th October.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The likely outcome is I will have paid my &pound;25 for the item, paid &pound;15 to return the wrong item, and end up with no refund and no item.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The worst part is there is no procedure to make a counter claim or offer.&nbsp; e.g a simple solution would be for me to keep the wrong item and the seller to partially refund to reflect it's lower value.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I think the PayPal dispute system is seriously flawed.&nbsp; What can I do now to get a realistic resolution to this?</p>

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

brianclark4
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I had the Berry same issue with a seller from China, I have sent the inferior item back to China at a cost of £18.50, after I had posted it and sent the postage verification to PayPal, there was a message stating that Pay Pal will only reimburse postage to a maximum of £15 so I am down £3.50 before I know if I will get the original cost of the item ordered which was for £58.00 😡
Login to Me Too

texasmom1
New Community Member

Paypal does not have the customer's back.  I have tried to get refunded for an item never received and they will not escalate.

Login to Me Too

gil51
Contributor
Contributor

I also paid for a product from China in April for 42euros via paypal and followed the progress on line showing IN THE AIR...for a considerable amount of time..However by July with no delivery i made an application to the Resolution Centre to deal with my case and after some communication the claim eventually was DISMISSED in favour of the seller because they had provided to paypal a tracking code which showed that the parcel had arrived at its destination on a particular date..  However checking with my Postal Service in Ireland they informed me that the tracking code was not linked to my address and that my parcel went to another address in a district outside but not mine...as i would have been scanned accordingly. My postal service told me also that this is a regular occurance  when dealing with stuff from China  (Wrong tracking information put on parcels).....its seems also that once a claim in closed it cant be opened again so ive gone down the route now of the HELP CENTRE ?...repeating myself and the details over and over again to different personnel each time...its very frustrating and i dont know where to go from here... all i know is IM OUT OF POCKET and unlikely to get a refund.

Login to Me Too

brianclark4
Contributor
Contributor

If you have paid with a credit or debit card contact the card company and report it as a scam, explaining that you have gone through the dispute procedure with PayPal without an acceptable outcome. This part is to anyone reading this thread. On no account return an incorrect of faulty item back to this company as you will be out of pocket on the postage, as Paypal has a limit of £15 that they will reimburse you with on the postage    

Login to Me Too

gil51
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for taking the time to read my thread and yes what you say is correct BUT you only have a three month window to inform your credit card company about your dilemna and unfortunatly when i did approach them in the end...they said my timing was out and i  left it too late to inform them..I feel i would have been reimbursed by Visa but spent so much time on the Helpline with Paypal going over and over again to different personnel about my situation , days spent ringing and emailing the Irish Postal Services and getting different advice....anyway in the end im out of pocket to the tune of 44euros...Its been a learning curve...never again will i hit the send button on products from China via Paypal:(

Login to Me Too

brianclark4
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I agree, PayPal's resolution procedure is not fit for purpose, as it sides too much in the suppliers favour, to the detriment of the customer 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.