Under 18 and limited account

ashley63
Contributor
Contributor

I made the account after I turned 17, my account is now limited and I need to send in documents but im still a minor. I have over £1000 in my paypal in it too but I cant transfer anything. I turn 18 in 5 months and I saw a thread saying you can open a new account when I’m 18 and transfer the funds from my limited account however im not sure yet. in addition I have my bank linked to my paypal if that helps. Any help and advice appreciated! thank you

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ashley63 

Paypal does not allow account holders under the age of 18.
PayPal asks for a birth date when you register so whilst you can make a PayPal account with false information the account will need to be verified to accept funds into your balance or lift any limits.
As you would be unable to verify your account it would be locked for further use.
Minors can’t enter legal contracts so you won’t have any recourse to get your money back until you were 18 unless Paypal were happy to release it to a parent or guardian for you. Even then customer services do not always allow that or allow you to open a new account, you have to check with them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ashley63
Contributor
Contributor
hi kernowlass. I called PayPal I got told to prove send documents. If it gets denied I dont get the withdrawal restriction taken away from me but rather I have to wait 180 days. Will me turning 18 before that time reduce the amount of time I wait?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ashley63 

No definitive answer really, you could contact them as soon as you are 18 and explain and see if they will transfer the funds to a new account for you. 

Or ask them if they will transfer it to a parents account now.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.