Unauthorized withdrawal through Walmart..

Bayoughost
Contributor
Contributor

Friday the 28th of June, $500 was taken out of my Paypal account through Walmart cash out, Paypal has been no help and closed the case, saying It's Walmart that's at fault.  Walmart, also has been no help, I have chatted, called and emailed them to resolve this, but no help so far. I have two different transaction ID's, but they can't seem to find which Walmart the transaction took place at.  Anyone else had this happen?  Very frustrating, seems like either party wants to take responsibility. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GaryJ

Login to Me Too
80 REPLIES 80

WillieF88
Contributor
Contributor

TParkwr.... I just had $500 taken from me in exactly the same manner as everyone else.  The transaction numbers do not match.  I reported it online, and need to wait until they open tomorrow at 6am...This is crazy that PayPal is not doing anything to close this loophole.  Any other suggestions?

Login to Me Too

KatGirrl
Contributor
Contributor
I am in the US (IL) and this happened to me today as well. I got a text saying I withdrew money from PayPal at a Walmart and I called the fraud department. They are saying it is impossible as they need my phone to send a text at Walmart and they have to have an ID stating they are me. I have my phone in my hand! They could not tell me what Walmart this was done in either. I don't know how this will play out, but I plan to file a police report, call Walmart and my local TV station. There appears to be a lot of this going on and no resolution. The fraud department was less than friendly to me, almost making me feel like I had lied about the transaction. As I have used PayPal for almost 10 years I was shocked at their response to me. Please ANYONE post that has gotten their money back. I had 463 taken out, which was 4 shy of my balance, so someone knew exactly how much I had in my PayPal account.
Login to Me Too

Mino2187
Contributor
Contributor
All of this up and including the response from paypal happend to me on 8/31. Exactly as you all described it. I am in contact with the police and the department of insurance and financial services. Paypal informed me they automaticaly deny walmart claims because they have no way of recovering the money. They also cant track the store. But any body that ever bought from walmart with a debit card knows the store number is posted right on your statment. Some one was able to get into my account change the security questions and my SS number and password and withdraw 500 from my account supposedly from a walmart. And paypal is telling me nothing is suspicious in my account and every thing matches my history.
Login to Me Too

KatGirrl
Contributor
Contributor

@Mino2187  - I did get my funds back from PayPal yesterday on this item - same day that it happened 9/5. I think they are realizing this is some sort of issue on their end. I did take all of my money out and transferred to my bank account and am considering closing my PP account altogether as I don't know if they have any handle on how this happened or how to stop it from happening. What if a thief does this and links to my actual bank account?? 

Login to Me Too

abbie0530

This happened to my last night. I am a teacher and had funds in my paypal to pay for new books for my students each month. I had no clue you could even withdraw money out of your paypal at WalMart. I am getting a complete run around from PayPal and WalMart. I have cried more over this, and it is very unfortunate. I am going to look at news channels and all possible ways to get this information out to others. 

Login to Me Too

chuhopwu
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me on May 28 2019. PayPal denied my calim and told me they can't do anything on this case.

I 'm going crazy. Anyone or any lawyer can tell me what we can do?   

Login to Me Too

snoopy117
Contributor
Contributor

look at original email sent to you from paypal. the transaction number is different than paypals transaction number. that is the walmart location. give that to paypal. it was the only proof i had that it was fraud. got my money back last night. 

Login to Me Too

voodoogolfer

How did you look up the Walmart location with the transaction code from the email? We had $430 stolen from us yesterday, immediately called PayPal in less than 24hrs they said they won't do anything. We called Walmart, they said nothing they can do. Neither of them want to help or are holding themselves accountable for setting up a business practice that invites fraudulent behavior. How is there no traceability in the transaction codes to tell what WalMart this happened at?

Login to Me Too

WillieF88
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Snoopy117   This just happened to me tonight... I had $500 taken.  I researched and found that $500 is the max. daily cash withdrawal amount.. So I have filed a fraudulent transaction report "On-line" because they were closed at the time.  I am waiting until tomorrow morning when they open.  I have all of the transaction numbers from the app and from my email... (They do not match).. I hope this is all PayPal will need to return my money.  Any additional tips you have would be helpful.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Bwf1970
Contributor
Contributor
If your bank account is still connected to PayPal, I would assume if this happens again, the money will just come out of it. I have removed any connection to my bank
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.