Unauthorized use

Adam196
New Community Member
My account has been hacked and someone transferred money out and then have initiated a transfer out from my bank. How do it resolve this. The resolution center doesn’t work. For either one
Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

Mrb032010
Contributor
Contributor
Something is going on with mine too, got an email in Spanish saying my phone # changed, I had to login and change the language back to English in settings, delete the hackers phone # and they’re trying to get $1000 moves from my bank account into my PayPal account. I called my bank and put a stop payment on any PayPal transfers for $1000 & am trying to close my PayPal account, but it won’t close due to pending transactions. Send a message of the transaction to PayPal and tell them it’s not yours. This is unbelievable there’s no customer service help.
Login to Me Too

Hhm-dispute
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, I have same exact issue. There's no one on paypal's end to help fix this issue. the hacker already drained my paypal balance and had requested $1,000 from an associated bank. luckily the transaction didn't go through but I'm still short ~$900 of my paypal since they were able to transfer that out to a visa card. I filed a dispute for unauthorized transaction and all they said was it was authorized as per paypal -_- Is there a number that you guys have that we can call paypal at? @paypal

Login to Me Too

Mrb032010
Contributor
Contributor
Send a message to PayPal telling them what happened. They know about the problem now and will flag the transaction. My bank put a stop payment on the withdrawal so I didn’t lose money but it still shows a pending transaction on PayPal, but it is flagged that I reported it. Sending a message under Messages was the only way I could get anyone to take care of the situation. Also tweeted them complaining.
Login to Me Too

Hhm-dispute
Contributor
Contributor
I was able to stop requested incoming funds from my bank but there’s also additional transaction that transferred all my PayPal balance out to a different Visa card not owned or added by me. PayPal messaging doesn’t work either. It’s automated so it takes keywords from my message and keeps giving me links on PayPal to report a dispute which is already done and rejected by PayPal
Login to Me Too

Mrb032010
Contributor
Contributor
You need to use the words fraud or close my account until the auto message will send it to a customer service representative. Or cal[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]PayPal #. Otherwise tweet them on PayPal support on Twitter.
Login to Me Too

Hhm-dispute
Contributor
Contributor
Tried using close my account on their phone number and they didn’t work 😕 it seems they just don’t have customer service available at this time which I don’t get how it makes sense, given that it’s a financial institution. Messaged PayPal through Twitter and all I get in response Is -“reach out to the bank that the card is with “ but I don’t own the card or have any details except last 4 digits. If I had the card, I wouldn’t be claiming fraud in the first place !! You have any other solutions?
Login to Me Too

jrcoste
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in the same boat. I was able to file a claim with my bank who hopefully will have more luck getting through to Paypal.

Login to Me Too

jrcoste
Contributor
Contributor

A few more details in case it helps anyone.

-On Sept 2-3 the hacker got access to the account and changed the default language and added a new phone number. They initiated a $1000 transfer from my bank. Since the emails were in a foreign language, I missed them.

-On Sept 9th the funds were available and they did an instant transfer to a credit card which they quickly removed. They also initiated another $1000 transfer from my bank. This time I noticed the emails and immediately changed the password for the account, removed the new phone number, and changed the language back. I submitted paypal cases for the outgoing $1000 transfer to the CC and the pending $1000 transfer from the bank. I could not submit a case about the successful transfer from the bank since it was money "I" had received.

-Today (Sept 10th) I got a message from paypal that the case for the outgoing instant transfer had been DENIED and closed because they determined it was not unauthorized!! The case on the other case is still open but less important. The paypal phone system does not seem to have record of either of the cases nor do they appear to have anyone you can talk to.

-I put a stop payment order on the pending transaction with my bank. They waived the charge for this because I did not authorize the transaction. I submitted a claim with them about the successful transfer from the bank. Hopefully they will have an easier time getting paypal's attention while they investigate.

Login to Me Too

Mrb032010
Contributor
Contributor

-report all emails in spanish to https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/report-problem

[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]this is the only paypal # I can find. 

This is an old scam, it happened a few years ago as well. They are familiar with this happening, don't let them play you. You're gonna have to message and call until you can get through to them. not sure how else to help you. 

idk if this helps, but how to get a real person at paypal. 

https://digitaleguide.com/contact-paypal-how-do-i-talk-to-a-human-at-paypal/

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.