Unauthorized trans. dispute closed but item still not received!

ivynelizabeth
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a dispute for a purchase made on a chinese scam site (made to look like a US retail store.). Paypal immediately closed dispute saying transaction was authorized and didnt fall under purchase protection. However, i also haevn't received item. How can i get protection for the item i bought but never received? Purchase was made on 3/16/2020, case opened/closed 5/8/2020. Is there no way to call ebay? the message center doesnt help.

FYI the item purchased was allegedly a cricut embroidery machine. i googled the model i wanted and clicked on the link with the lowest advertised price and it looked completely normal, had US phone numbers & said they were located in NC. My order email from them seemed off with grammar/language so then i started googling the website (sltrday or something similar, i believe it's been taken down) and realized they likely were going to send me something fake, random, or nothing. I then went thought the "Order Cancellation process" listed on the website, which says you can cancel until item is shipped. I canceled on the website 6 minutes after purchase, but the website emailed me 1 week later saying the item had already shipped and couldnt be cancelled. Tracking number was provided and it went in transit from China but has been stuck in same place since 4/20/2020. 

I opened dispute with paypal on 5/8/20 on the above facts. They immediately closed case saying "Thank you for reporting this case.  After reviewing your case, we found that this transaction was not unauthorized and hence couldn't be covered under PayPal Purchase Protection." I am not sure if they are being more seller friendly during COVID so i'll take the heat for the authorized activity (although my card was charged after i canceled). But i still haven't received my item! Surely they cant get away with this right? That's why i insist on using & paying through paypal! If the case is just closed and there's nothing i can do then i'm never going through paypal again - it used my balance so i cannot get help from my bank 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

cheeto324
Contributor
Contributor
I had a similar problem with the same results. Paypal was very unhelpful with the dispute and every email I got from them seemed like an automated response. Makes me believe nobody even looked at the facts. Im pretty disgusted with paypal and will be canceling my account with them. Been a customer for years but the way they handled this situation is pathetic and wrong and I can't see relying on them in the future after not supporting me when it was a clear cut case of a scam. Its nice to know they support such activity. I know not to do business with them moving forward now
Login to Me Too

nmarie00
New Community Member

I am dealing with the same exact issue with cricut-store.com.  It was actually two transactions as I got an error the first time thinking it didn't go through but it actually did and so did the 2nd transaction. I reported one of them as unauthorized as you did and that was closed same day.  The 2nd one is still being reviewed. This one I reported as never receiving the item. Now I'm trying to report the one that was closed as item not received and there is no way to do this.  So unfortunate. I use Paypal for everything and it just seems that their guarantee isn't that at all. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nmarie00 

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say you made a mistake then they might open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.