Unauthorized repeating payment to "Facebook ads"

Maxdowt
New Community Member

An automated payment I did not authorize or confirm went through my PayPal account to "Facebook," specifically their ads. I am the only user of my PayPal account and after checking, it doesn't look like there was a way for me to misclick on anything to receive a charge in this amount (the charge was $4 and the cost for promoting a page is $6, nothing charges the amount I was charged). The description of the service provided is something like being able to make payments through Facebook without logging in to PayPal and to receive PayPal updates through messenger. When I try to fix the issue through Facebook with the link provided to report a problem, I have gotten an error message every time. My dispute turned back negative as PayPal has deemed it an "authorized" payment despite no authorization for a repeating payment from me. I don't do repeat payments through paypal and would not authorize this action. This sounds like a scam of some sort. It would have activated a repeating payment on my account if I hadn't been alerted and cancelled it. If someone did actually use Facebook or a promotion service through them, something like this could go by unnoticed. I have turned off the automated payment and reset my passwords. Is there anyone with insight on what happened or how it happened, or who knows how I can further contact PayPal or facebook for more information to dispute further?

Login to Me Too
39 REPLIES 39

Gunz007
How did you get your money back? I just had the same thing happen to me and can’t find anywhere on Facebook to report it.
Login to Me Too

Cheyni
Contributor
Contributor
Im going though this now also. I have had 2 payments taken and my bank flagged the third as suspicious. I have been onto PayPal who closed any open transactions with Facebook. And my bank has cancelled my card and given me a claimback form to try claim the money back. I managed to log a report to Facebook a few days ago but have had no reply as yet so my bank is filing is as products not received. Hope this helps
Login to Me Too

Adrippina
Contributor
Contributor
It's two weeks that I am trying to obtain the refund via Facebook, how did you manage? I don't have the transaction code they are asking that starts with "FACEBOOK" or similar. I gave all the data they are asking, but it looks to me that this could go on forever, since they are repeating questions I already replied to.
Login to Me Too

Missliteracy
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly the same problem over here! So confused and annoyed. I am a personal FB user and don’t run anything at all.
Login to Me Too

tom_tom_tom

Same thing just happened to me but for 250usd!
Open a case with paypal and they closed it without a refund. 

Login to Me Too

Forever28
Contributor
Contributor
I have a therapy page and have set up adverts in the past last one 3rd December max I’ve ever spend about £8. Then from the 26th December 2020 I’ve had £247.89 for authorised pre paid payments to Fb for adverts. Looking into this I could see id not accidentally put an advert up. So have no idea when there’s no ads running where these costs would be from? I have contacted PayPal 3 times to get through to someone who finally helped me and has sent a request to Fb to say I’ve received no item for these payments. They then have to wait for Fb to respond upon deciding wether they will refund me. The bank didn’t want to know and sent me back to PayPal and first two people that dealt with me from PayPal said i needed to contact Fb which is near impossible? So frustrating I was crying by the end of it all as my partner is in hospital unwell after an operation and then trying to get this money back as I’m on furlough and it is a big amount to me is causing additional stress. Did anyone get a positive result from this situation?
Login to Me Too

Lukaku
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing.25$ was charged, and I found out on ad manager it was an instagram ad in Kazahstan, and i live in Croatia.and it is still activ and i can not delete it.but I denied the paying, and waiting for Facebook reply.
Login to Me Too

Forever28
Contributor
Contributor
Hope you get some answers from Fb do keep us posted
Login to Me Too

Lukaku
Contributor
Contributor
Money refund was made by facebook as they recognized my account was hacked, but the problem ad is still running and I can't delete it.so I am waiting facebook to reply me on that.
Login to Me Too

Dorota-Dota
New Community Member

I spent a fortune on ads on Facebook yet over the past week or so we also had an unauthorised transactions from Facebook. For example my daily ad spend is about £600 yet Facebook took £2800 from my PayPal. I had managed to chat with a facebook representative but all I got was we will investigate and reply within 24-48h  - that was a week ago. The worst thing is that there is no way to sort it, we are all at the mercy of Facebook. It's so frustrating that such a huge business can do such a thing - just take money off people without any explanation whatsoever.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.