Unauthorized repeating payment to "Facebook ads"

Maxdowt
New Community Member

An automated payment I did not authorize or confirm went through my PayPal account to "Facebook," specifically their ads. I am the only user of my PayPal account and after checking, it doesn't look like there was a way for me to misclick on anything to receive a charge in this amount (the charge was $4 and the cost for promoting a page is $6, nothing charges the amount I was charged). The description of the service provided is something like being able to make payments through Facebook without logging in to PayPal and to receive PayPal updates through messenger. When I try to fix the issue through Facebook with the link provided to report a problem, I have gotten an error message every time. My dispute turned back negative as PayPal has deemed it an "authorized" payment despite no authorization for a repeating payment from me. I don't do repeat payments through paypal and would not authorize this action. This sounds like a scam of some sort. It would have activated a repeating payment on my account if I hadn't been alerted and cancelled it. If someone did actually use Facebook or a promotion service through them, something like this could go by unnoticed. I have turned off the automated payment and reset my passwords. Is there anyone with insight on what happened or how it happened, or who knows how I can further contact PayPal or facebook for more information to dispute further?

Login to Me Too
39 REPLIES 39

hazeljeff

Possible that your subscription wasn't fully cancelled. Contact Paypal right away to cancel it and dispute the charge.

Login to Me Too

Hooper-D
Contributor
Contributor

I never asked for any FB advertising at all, one-time or repeating, and I was charged $25. PayPal says that I authorized this payment, which I most certainly did not.

Login to Me Too

Hooper-D
Contributor
Contributor

After writing this entry, I tried complaining to FB. It's an automated system that seems to just go in useless circles. But less than a day later, FB refunded my money.

Login to Me Too

NL_user
New Community Member

I have the same situation.

I never use facebook (but haven't deleted the account). Now, I have 3 transactions for facebook advertisement. I put in a complaint with paypal, but they say it's a valid transaction without even having a conversation about this with me? 

After a long search through facebook settings I see that I've been added to a strange page in a strange language. I've been added by someone I don't know. And somehow, without me authorizing the payment, facebook was able to make 3 transactions for advertising. In total quite a bit of money.

Login to Me Too

AP392
New Community Member

Same thing happened to me. Any luck on a refund? 

Login to Me Too

Shehrina
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I'm in this situation now. can you tell me how you were able to see which pages you were added to?. My ads account has been disabled as well by fb

Login to Me Too

Forever28
Contributor
Contributor
Was this for pre authorised payments to adverts they had taken money for?
Login to Me Too

thebusystamper
Contributor
Contributor

I have this exact same issue, but I can't figure out where or how to contact Facebook to complain at all.  How did you

do that?

Login to Me Too

Jenjen2505
New Community Member
I have had £10 took for a “Facebook ad” that I never authorised, on my Facebook payments there’s no sign of me authorising any payments or doing any ads? PayPal have told me I authorised it but I didn’t. I’m not sure what to do
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.