Unauthorized "PayPal Giving" donation

duke2016
Contributor
Contributor
My past 2 transactions have included a separate $1 "donation" to PayPal Giving. I did not authorize, and can't find any link to cancel this supposed "donation". TWICE I have filed disputes, PayPal responded I had authorized and DENIED. I am now down to just closing my account. Any ideas how or why this is happening? Thx
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

StephaV
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar issue.  I donated money via a PayPal link on my preferred charity's website.  Within a few minutes of authorizing that donation, I received an email confirmation from the PayPal Giving Fund, thanking me for an additional donation in the same dollar amount to a charity I've never heard of.  I did not authorize that donation, and PayPal has twice refused to refund my money.  Today, a PayPal phone representative advised me to file a dispute through my own bank.  Once resolved, I will close my PayPal account as I view this as having money stolen from me by PayPal.

Login to Me Too

duke2016
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you. SAME. I am trying to close my account now. Both my disputes were denied. And I agree: stolen from my account. I did not authorize!
Login to Me Too

StephaV
Contributor
Contributor

Just FYI, I am pursuing this as they "stole" $100 from my account.  Even those who've lost $1 to the PayPal Giving Fund should pursue a refund.  If they have deducted $1 from a million accounts, who is getting that $1,000,000?

Login to Me Too

duke2016
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for responding. I am appealing. Mine is "only" $1, TWICE. But that is what I am afraid of! Next time they might "donate" $100! Infuriating they insist i did it. I did not. And NO, I do not have "subscriptions" or any other automatic withdrawal set up.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@duke2016 

Check if you had a subscription set up.
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

duke2016
Contributor
Contributor
Nope. Nothing set up. Ever. First "donation" they took was to "paypal giving for world hunger". Next one: paypal giving tor st jude. I have never given or considered giving to either. My last 2 transaction: money stolen by "paypal giving" from my account.
Login to Me Too

StephaV
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate your suggestion, but the $100 that the PayPal Giving Fund deducted from my account was sent to a charity, "With God, All Things Are Possible", which I've never heard of, so I had no subscription/automatic payment set up.  I made a $100 donation to a charity I chose, and PayPal took it upon themselves to take another $100 from my account immediately afterwards, and sent it to a charity they selected.  This is wrong and illegal.  I have repeatedly asked for proof that I authorized the deduction, and the only thing PayPal will confirm is that it came from my computer's URL.  This seems to indicate that PayPal used my previous session before I was able to log out to take $100 from my account, so that URL would be mine.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.