Unauthorized payment refund

JigWig
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Yesterday I made a case in the resolution center, as my son made an unauthorized payment with my account without me knowing or giving him permission. He made the payment with friends and family, so, therefore, I am unable to get a refund. The case was closed, and it says "After reviewing your case, we found that this transaction was not unauthorized and hence couldn't be covered under PayPal Purchase Protection." However, at the bottom, it still says "Transactions Refunded" "+$165" "The money will be refunded to the original payment method."

Does this mean I have been refunded or not? If not, what can I do to get a refund? The payment was done without me knowing and I didn't give any permission to my son. 

Image: https://imgur.com/a/xIETWwV

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Nah, that's just a note to say that if there was a refund, it would go back to original payment method inside the case.  Do you see a refund transaction for it in your Activity page though? It would definitely have to display on Summary and/or Activity page.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

JigWig
Contributor
Contributor

No, I don't see any refund transaction in my activity. I paid with a credit card so I believe if I was to be refunded the money would go straight back to my card.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Refunds to cards will show up in your card statement so check your online account of your credit card if indeed there is a refund due (refunds to cards take up to 30 days, past that then you were not refunded).

Login to Me Too

JigWig
Contributor
Contributor

If it was declined, do you have any idea on why it might have been declined? And is there anything else I can do to get a refund if it was in fact declined?

Thanks again

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

It means that PayPal did not refund you because it was not an unauthorized transaction because your son sent out a payment. Nothing you can do.

Login to Me Too

JigWig
Contributor
Contributor

But if I didn't give my son permission, wouldn't that count as an unauthorized payment?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JigWig

No because its your son and so your responsibility.

Its also your responsibility to keep your paypal account log in details confidential and not allow access to them by others.

Paypal would have checked your IP address and devices and seen it was made by a member of your household so again your responsibility.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Andreqw
New Community Member
I have the same problem, so does it mean paypal has taken the funds???
Login to Me Too

Heinz1231
Contributor
Contributor

I have lost about 250 US $ during the last 3months for items I did not receive but paid with my PayPal account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.