Unauthorized bank account withdrawal

tatiana26
New Community Member

I was recently scammed through Ebay. I paid with my debit card, which was linked to my paypal account. The seller informed me that the item was no longer in stock, and a refund would be issued. The refund was approved. However, the seller then used their paypal account to make an unauthorized withdrawal on my debit card and basically took my refund away. The issue is, no record of this refund or withdrawal shows up on my paypal account. Only on my bank account. I see the refund deposited, then immediately after, I see the unauthorized withdrawal. Ebay said that since the refund was approved, there's nothing they could do, and that I should contact Paypal as well as my bank. Made several attempts to message Paypal. All unanswered. I can't make an unauthorized transaction report because, as I previously stated, Paypal has no record of the refund or transaction on my account. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tatiana26 

Hmmm, puzzled as to how the seller used their PayPal account to take back their refund with an unauthorized withdrawal through your debit card in the way you described it. This is something unprecedented. Seller issued a refund, refund went back onto debit card without there being a record of it in PayPal. Then refund was withdrawn back out of debit card by seller, also without a record in PayPal. Whut??? Did you log into PayPal account to pay or just used the debit card without PayPal account? Head-scratcher this one.

If paid through PayPal guest checkout, look for PayPal receipt email with the receipt ID number at the bottom. Call customer service and provide receipt ID number to open dispute based on the options listed above.

You'll have to call PayPal:

1. Log on.
  2. Click HELP at the top menu.
  3. Scroll down and click CONTACT US.
  4. Scroll down to click CALL US.

Or contacting via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.