Unauthorized Uber Payment?

nerris121
Contributor
Contributor

I got an e-mail saying I sent a payment to Uber. It's just a small $5 charge but I 100% didn't user Uber this week, nor any family members. Is this worrisome?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi @nerris121,

Thanks for providing that information, @sharpiemarker! Great work. 🙂

In addition to the information above, you should definitely change your password and security questions. If you see the transaction in your PayPal account, make sure to follow @sharpiemarker's advice and report the transaction as unauthorized so that we can investigate the charge.

If you don’t see the transaction in your PayPal account, you’ll need to contact us by phone or email, or reach us on Facebook or Twitter, so that we can identify the transaction in our system and take appropriate action. Hopefully the issue is resolved soon!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
36 REPLIES 36

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Make sure the sender email address is authentic. Do you have an Uber account? Contact Uber about why you have this charge? You can also file an unauthorized transaction on the transaction in PayPal. Click “report a problem” in the transaction details.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi @nerris121,

Thanks for providing that information, @sharpiemarker! Great work. 🙂

In addition to the information above, you should definitely change your password and security questions. If you see the transaction in your PayPal account, make sure to follow @sharpiemarker's advice and report the transaction as unauthorized so that we can investigate the charge.

If you don’t see the transaction in your PayPal account, you’ll need to contact us by phone or email, or reach us on Facebook or Twitter, so that we can identify the transaction in our system and take appropriate action. Hopefully the issue is resolved soon!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

nerris121
Contributor
Contributor

I posted this months ago with zero help, and all of a sudden it blows up six months later?

Login to Me Too

acimino13
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me yesterday (August 20, 2020) and PayPal has been TRASH about the situation saying that since Uber was authorized on my account that there's nothing they can do because of the user agreement. Well, me, the authorized user on the account didn't even setup or approve Uber on my paypal account. The people charged about +$120 in quick succession via Uber BV. I've thankfully got in contact with Uber and I think they may be helping the situation, but we'll see. I just came here to state that PayPal is ZERO help and trash. 

Login to Me Too

dayo92
Contributor
Contributor

hi has this been resolved yet ? if yes how is it resolved because paypal is useless i have the same problem.

Login to Me Too

acimino13
Contributor
Contributor

I have an update on my issue. BIG turn of events, but Uber was actually super UNHELPFUL and PayPal, after A LOT OF back and forth and complaining, admitted there was an issue and refunded the money that was stolen from me. This whole process took about five days.

One thing that did help my case was that the link between Uber and PayPal was established on August 20, the day all the unauthorized transactions occurred. They tried to say that because the accounts were linked that they couldn't help me and tried to just end it there, but I was pretty persistent through the PayPal messaging app and kept following up and showing proof that it wasn't me (date of authorization, quick transactions all in the span of 10 minutes, transactions were in Canadian currency when I live in the US, login was in a state I never visited, etc). 

The money was taken out of my account, but PayPal ended up refunding me and Uber actually admitted fault as well, but quite a few days after PayPal. I think the key here was to keep bothering them. Don't let them just tell you there's nothing they can do, because they can help. 

Login to Me Too

MrsC1978
Contributor
Contributor
I’ve just had the same thing £150 on Uber eats and I’ve never used them PayPal refusing to refund me so I’ve cancel my direct debt with them and will call my bank to advise them . I’ve tried contacting Uber but it’s a minefield. How did you manage to contact them?
Login to Me Too

Jacquelinepic81
Contributor
Contributor
Mine was refunded eventually, I just kept harassing pay pal and Uber eats. I contacted Uber eats through Facebook, and just kept escalating my complaint through pay pal as well. Don’t give up! Just keep at them. Good luck.
Login to Me Too

Kpinette
Contributor
Contributor
This same thing has happened to me multiple times. Yesterday I had 2 charges to Uber for $20 and $6 with no activity on my Uber account since November. When I reported it they got back to me and told me there was no unauthorized use, as if I was asking whether or not there had been unauthorized use. This is beyond frustrating. I'm going to try reporting it to Uber but I doubt they'll be any help either. Would really just like someone to acknowledge that there is a problem here 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.