Unauthorized Transfer to PayPal Cash Plus Balance

colson108
New Community Member

Tonight I received two emails, the first saying a transfer of $1,000 was going to my PayPal Cash Plus Balance, and the other was a phone number that was added to my account. Both of which I didn't do. I logged into PayPal, the language was changed. So, I figured out how to change the language back to English, deleted the added phone number, and changed my password. 

I tried to open a dispute on my unauthorized transaction, but it said it couldn't because it was "my money". The thing is, I don't have $1,000 in the linked account that it is pulling it from...How do I solve this problem before it pulls the money and I get fined by my bank? (It is midnight-I can't call the bank or contact PayPal).

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

shana1edington
New Community Member

well they are still allowing it. They allowed our account to get hit for 3500

Login to Me Too

Jayjayberet
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me too- $1000.00 was transferred from my bank account to PayPal Cash Plus Balance making my account overdrawn. Also my phone number was changed and my language was also changed to Spanish. This happened last night about 3am. I also messaged Paypal and they said they'll get back to me, but they can't stop the charge and that I should be able to transfer the money from my Paypal account back to my bank??? I don't know if that makes sense. I haven't got a resolution from the bank or Paypal yet but I hope I get the money back.

Login to Me Too

Jhickman1
Contributor
Contributor

The exact same thing just hit me yesterday, but just noticed today.  I didn't have two-factor authentication.  Language was changed and a new number added.  I have now removed the added number, change password, and have two-factor authentication on.  The money is not set to hit my account until the 8th.  It would look like Paypal has been hacked on a broader scale.  I had a complicated password. 

Login to Me Too

kmbrly1010
Contributor
Contributor

I received this response from customer service:

"I understand this is a serious matter. Thank your for bringing this to our attention. We are aware of this ongoing issue.
I have escalated this for you and our engineers will look into this since there is money involved. Rest assured that they will be prioritizing this as soon as possible and you will be getting an email once there is a result."

If you haven't yet, contact them thru the Message Center so they are aware this is affecting more and more accounts.

Login to Me Too

tlb123

Would love to know how you finally got a response from them.  I can't get anyone on the phone and I sent a message 10 hours ago and still have received no response. 

Login to Me Too

chelleven
Contributor
Contributor

SAME thing I am dealing with right now!! No idea how they got my info. Only my app password was changed. My password on my laptop wasn't changed. CRAZY!!!

Login to Me Too

guitarmike917
New Community Member

Same issue here. I had a heck of a time trying to get anything back. I can't get a hold of anyone at PayPal on the phone, no one is responding to my messages. Man, this is really bad. You'd assume they would at least put something out saying they know about it and they're working on it. I wish I could just cancel it and have that peace of mind. Oh well, after dealing with my bank and transferring my money, I think I'm okay. 

Login to Me Too

Gabe507

same thing happened to me today, just got a notification and when opened the´PayPal summary i had 5 cryptocurrency purchases and 4 transfers from my account to the PayPal Cash Plus Balance for over 2K in total and i took out almost all my money from my bank but still they will pull whatever is there and put my account under the minimal $$$ to get no fees. plus it can actually send them more money and charge it to me later with more fees.

this thing is crazy and i can´t claim it because it says I´m receiving the money

Login to Me Too

KAK57
Contributor
Contributor
I had this happen too. In fact; I purchased something for $99 and this PPPlus balance was added to my transaction making it $113.
Login to Me Too

Vmcbro
Contributor
Contributor
Once purchase is made through PayPal they take the money out of the account immediately.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.