Unauthorized Transfer to PayPal Cash Plus Balance

colson108
New Community Member

Tonight I received two emails, the first saying a transfer of $1,000 was going to my PayPal Cash Plus Balance, and the other was a phone number that was added to my account. Both of which I didn't do. I logged into PayPal, the language was changed. So, I figured out how to change the language back to English, deleted the added phone number, and changed my password. 

I tried to open a dispute on my unauthorized transaction, but it said it couldn't because it was "my money". The thing is, I don't have $1,000 in the linked account that it is pulling it from...How do I solve this problem before it pulls the money and I get fined by my bank? (It is midnight-I can't call the bank or contact PayPal).

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

Irxtasy
Contributor
Contributor
Looks like I’m not the only one. My account was hacked two hours ago and $1000 was transferred from my bank acc as well. However it says it’s pending until sept 4th. The hacker also put their phone number in the account and set it as the primary number. I ended up changing my pw, changing back the primary number as well as adding mobile verification. I suggest you do the same as well. Only problem for me is, I’m more curious on how I got hacked. Since my password is not that easy to guess. I’ll be unlinking my checking account from PayPal too.
Login to Me Too

Irxtasy
Contributor
Contributor
Woops. Didn’t see the part where you did the same. Hopefully PayPal resolve this issue. This is quite nerve wrecking. Maybe they were hacked? Who knows.
Login to Me Too

ljk2020
Contributor
Contributor

Exact same thing happened to me overnight. I plan on calling the bank as soon as they open to hopefully stop the transfer. It's crazy that you can't report it to paypal by opening a dispute. I messaged Paypal & the reply I got was that it would take them 24 hours to respond. By then it will probably be too late.

Login to Me Too

ljk2020
Contributor
Contributor

I did get a reply from my message to paypal & they said it is a known issue that has been escalated & they are working on a resolution. I would definitely contact them if you have not already. Good luck!

Login to Me Too

kmbrly1010
Contributor
Contributor

I'm glad I found this thread. Exact same thing happened to me this morning. Since PayPal Resolution Center was no help, I've completely closed my bank account so the transaction won't have an account to go thru. I'll try messaging PayPal as well so they know there is another instance of this happening.

Login to Me Too

Joyce1974
Contributor
Contributor

I had the exact same thing happen this morning. I was alerted because I got two messages from Paypal, one saying that the language had been changed and one saying that my primary phone number had been changed. I have no idea how this happened because I haven't been on Paypal in a month and my password isn't easy to get into. My account looked fine when I initially went into it, however, my account was changed to Spanish. I immediately called my bank and they told me that there weren't any transactions scheduled to come out. The account that they are trying to get money from doesn't have any money in it anyway, but I was concerned it would take money from my other linked accounts on Paypal (which it won't let me delete) or I would be fined by my bank for being overdrawn. Once I was able to change the language bank, I then changed my password, the primary email, deleted the phone number they put in and deleted any credit cards I could. I have never opened a Paypal Cash Plus and when you click on it, it does give you the complete routing and account number, which I'm worried the hacker would know and be able to have money sent to a card they have set up. I did also do a check with Experian to make sure any other accounts weren't effected and filed a complaint with the FTC. 

I did have a horrible time trying to get anyone on the phone from Paypal or trying to dispute the $1,000 that they set up to take out of my account since it still shows as pending and money that I supposedly took out. I eventually was able to send a message, which they responded to a few hours later stating that they are aware and investigating the issue. My pending charge isn't supposed to go through until September 9th so fingers crossed this gets figured out before then. I have not been pleased today. I did do some investigating on the phone number that was in my account (9**) ***-7896. When I put that into Google, only one number came up which was a number in Riverside, California and is a scam number. I'm sure it is likely linked to the scam they are trying to pull on Paypal.  

Login to Me Too

cindycblue

This just happened to me! 

What was the final result???

Login to Me Too

ljk2020
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal did absolutely nothing except reply to my message stating they knew it was a problem and were working on a solution. I went through my bank and they blocked the transfer and then I had to get an entirely new checking account, debit cards, etc. The transfer shows canceled on Paypal's end - which funny enough prompted Paypal to restrict my account because of suspicious activity from MY bank. The bank has refunded me the $1000 and is currently being investigated with their fraud department. I would not wait for Paypal to rectify the situation - go to your bank and have them handle it. Also make sure you never connect a checking account to Paypal.

Login to Me Too

kmbrly1010
Contributor
Contributor
Yep, same here. Paypal did nothing except say they are looking into it and can't cancel the transaction on their end. I ended up closing my bank account and debit card before the transaction could clear so it failed. I know not everyone can do that, though. I removed all my bank/credit card accounts from my PayPal account and will use other services from now on. I don't trust PayPal anymore.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.