Unauthorized Paypal Transaction Claim Scam?

gmoney160
Contributor
Contributor

I received an E-mail from PayPal saying "You have received a payment that we believe may not have been authorized by the PayPal account holder.  Here are the details of the transaction we are investigating."

About three days ago, I sold an item worth $1,000 from France to a buyer in New York through the website Grailed (similar to eBay but for apparel, shoes, accessories) who offers Paypal Buyer + Seller protection. After the purchase, the buyer also asked a question about shipping the receipt along with the item, to which I replied yes. The next day, I shipped the item and sent the buyer tracking information. Lo and behold, the next day, they filed am Unauthorized Paypal Claim. This was surprising because she was communicative at the time of purchase on the Grailed messages, and her address was PayPal verified. Of course, once the claim was filed, she stopped replying to my messages, which is extremely frustrating. And since they filed a claim, the money is now on hold in my account.

I was directed to the Resolution Center by PayPal to provide as many notes and evidence of the shipment. Thus, I provided the tracking number, a scan of the shipment receipt from the post office, the post office receipt of shipment fee, and also a screenshot of my messages between me and the buyer, showing how she communicated to me about the item and seemed to know what she was doing (I will send another screenshot of how she completely stopped responding since filing the claim). I find that ignoring the buyer after filing an unauthorized transaction claim is a bizarre behavior. The package is expected to arrive in a few days, and I can't do anything to intercept it. The package will also require a signature of the buyer.

Is there any more information I could provide to help my case? Is this a scam? Is there any chance I could lose?

I've read many threads online of this behavior and wanted some advice. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
26 REPLIES 26

Gavro777
Contributor
Contributor
Paypal just put my funds on hold due to unauthorized transaction. According the tracki g details the buyer recieved his item in French-Guiana 11 days ago. Now i can't use my money and IT could easily take months to release my funds if they ever do. I can see a lot of honest sellers have to face with the same issue. It is obviously a well plnned scam. The account holder orders a high value item with his friend's credit card. Than the fiend opens a case like he didn't know about it. Why do they react only after the item is delivered? And we can't even get the items back??? I can't understand how paypal can transfer the responsibility to sellers. I have more than 500 feedbacks on eBay the buyer has 5 and non in this year. I earned many thousands of dollars in fees to paypal with them in the past 10 years.Wtf?? Now It is just evident to them to place hold on My money due to a case that's not controller by me??? IT IS NOT OUR BUSINESS IF PAYPAL DID NOT AUTHORIZE THE BUYER'S SIDE!!! We, sellers cannot predict who will deceive us and We can't take the responsibility. We use paypal because we wanted to deal in a safe environment. I just lost 800 USD and it is just natural for paypal to trample us as if we were responsible for the scam. IT is the easiest. No need to find the credit card thief and card holder does not need to take any responsibility to keep his card secure. It is unfair. I'm thinking on collecting all the sellers who has been scammed this way by Paypal. Yes, paypal stands on the scammers side. What makes paypal do this???
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gavro777 

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, so your best bet is to go and read up on it to make sure you were covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pallas_athena
Contributor
Contributor

I am late to the game. Two weeks ago on June 15th 2020, I sold a $1700 laptop computer to a buyer in South Korea. The person made an account on ebay that same day and used Buy It Now. I sent the laptop to the global shipping center with signature confirmation and I also purchased insurance. On June 27th, the global tracking showed that the laptop arrived in South Korea and is on its way to the person's home.  On June 29th, PayPal contacted me about providing shipping information. I provided all of that information, tracking numbers, plus screen shots of the transaction and shipping showing that the item arrived in Korea.  The case was closed today, July 1st. Then, immediately afterwards, the buyer opened up a new case claiming "Unauthorized Transaction". $1700 has been taken from my PayPal account. The guy is a scammer. Why wait two weeks to say this is an unauthorized transaction?

I'm not able to speak to a live person on PayPal. After 20 years on this platform, I am shocked and disappointed that there isn't better protection to not allow these people to operate on ebay and PayPal. I'm hoping that this gets resolved to my favor or else I've been scammed out of $1700.

Login to Me Too

Bozzy16
Contributor
Contributor
Hi there, I've used PayPal for as long as I can remember now for selling items on Ebay, always had pleasant transactions and never had a problem until this week. Sold an item through Ebay on the 7th March this year, posted out within a couple of days, didn't receive any feedback, the buyer has just opened an unauthorised transaction for the item on June 30th, I don't have the receipt for the postage of it as I stupidly threw it away just a couple of weeks ago as I assumed all was good with the purchase. I had a feeling the buyer was pulling a fast one, no contact to myself from buyer just straight to paypal for refund, so have searched buyer on social media, has photos of the bought item being used by themselves which is winding me up. I know I don't have leg to stand on as I have no proof of it being sent now. Any advice please?
Login to Me Too

pallas_athena
Contributor
Contributor

bossy, didn't you upload the tracking numbers to ebay when you shipped the items? If so, you should be able to get the tracking numbers that way.

Login to Me Too

RHY
Contributor
Contributor

Please be very careful once again because I just got scammed by someone I don't know at all. Even Paypal rejected my claim because it was considered legal. I am very sad that Paypal cannot provide a solution at all. here I include the attachment, maybe someone has experienced it, or has been hijacked by this person please report it to those who can help.  @gmoney160 @pallas_athena @Bozzy16 @Gavro777 

<removed>

<removed>

<removed>

<removed>

  

 thank you all for your kindness for taking the time to read my post

Login to Me Too

flipping_bape
Contributor
Contributor
I have exactly the same problem and the same scenario, already happened twice just this month on Grailed. I’m seriously thinking to ditch Grailed because of this. Now I wonder how long it will take for me to have my money back...
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.