Unauthorized Paypal Transaction Claim Scam?

gmoney160
Contributor
Contributor

I received an E-mail from PayPal saying "You have received a payment that we believe may not have been authorized by the PayPal account holder.  Here are the details of the transaction we are investigating."

About three days ago, I sold an item worth $1,000 from France to a buyer in New York through the website Grailed (similar to eBay but for apparel, shoes, accessories) who offers Paypal Buyer + Seller protection. After the purchase, the buyer also asked a question about shipping the receipt along with the item, to which I replied yes. The next day, I shipped the item and sent the buyer tracking information. Lo and behold, the next day, they filed am Unauthorized Paypal Claim. This was surprising because she was communicative at the time of purchase on the Grailed messages, and her address was PayPal verified. Of course, once the claim was filed, she stopped replying to my messages, which is extremely frustrating. And since they filed a claim, the money is now on hold in my account.

I was directed to the Resolution Center by PayPal to provide as many notes and evidence of the shipment. Thus, I provided the tracking number, a scan of the shipment receipt from the post office, the post office receipt of shipment fee, and also a screenshot of my messages between me and the buyer, showing how she communicated to me about the item and seemed to know what she was doing (I will send another screenshot of how she completely stopped responding since filing the claim). I find that ignoring the buyer after filing an unauthorized transaction claim is a bizarre behavior. The package is expected to arrive in a few days, and I can't do anything to intercept it. The package will also require a signature of the buyer.

Is there any more information I could provide to help my case? Is this a scam? Is there any chance I could lose?

I've read many threads online of this behavior and wanted some advice. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
26 REPLIES 26

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dinho2018

Paypal clearly does state that you have no seller protection for virtual / digital content.

You can sell them but at your own risk.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

becker_666

Same issue here I get the email from paypal stating I can mail the item(a download link in my case)have all of the email's server

transaction logs.I do and I got an unauthorized transaction claim. Resolution I'm wrong.. how could that be? I proceeded just as supposed to, there is no middle man I use THEIR "buy it" button and not only that they charge me $20 extra, sounds to me like somebody is pocketing this extra fee with the

excuse of unauthorized fee. Beware I am closing my credit line in protest and see if I can close the pay with paypal too.

Login to Me Too

sebkun

Bad luck for me someone bought my voucher code and now he trying to get the money help me please!!!

Login to Me Too

egav88
New Community Member
Same thing had happened to me except 3 people who I sold items to claim “unauthorised” transactions. Did you manage to get your money back at all?
Login to Me Too

Js1482
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't touched my paypal account in at least 7 years, so when I received an email (in french) from paypal, I was sure that it was a spam. But soon I noticed $2k missing from my bank account!!! It listed that paypal has withdrawn $2000 from my checking account!! What the **bleep**!! When I tried logging into my paypal account with my okd password, the hacker has changed my password. So I created a new password and was able to log in. When I logged on, everything was in french!! Either some french **bleep** hacked into my account or those russians are getting more creative. Anyway, I tried calling paypal office and was on a hold for almost an hour before an actual human being answered my call. All she could tell me was to call my bank to try to stop the payment. Wtf? So I call my bank, whom I've been utilizing for at least two decades with rarely any issues. Freaking customer representative at the bank started to suspect me of fraudulent activity culprit. F this whole situation!! I've made far bigger transactions with this bank and haven't reported them as unauthorized transactions, so why are they being **bleep** now?? I have a feeling paypal had been compromised quite often since I read someone's blog that had almost identical story as me. Paypal better step up their security because their lack of effective protection is causing too much trauma on its users and non-users.

Login to Me Too

iKuzus
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sure your buyer got his money anyway, Did you end up getting your money back?

Login to Me Too

RichB33
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same where I sent an expensive Tag Heuer (£2000+) watch to someone in New York.
At first he opened an item not received claim because he was refusing to pay the customs charges from UK to USA.

When ebay found in my favour as customs isn't my issue he then upon getting hold of the watch claimed that it wasn't in the box and filed another claim.

(another case as because he took so long i actually paid for the watch to come back to the UK but he quickly tried to pay customs even though he knew i'd paid a return shipping fee to get the watch back because he was a tie waster)

He was successful this time.

PayPal heard my side of the story via a call and opened an appeal.

I sent all signed documents, photographic proof that the watch was sent and in a sealed box, this was also signed by the courier collecting the watch from my home.

PayPal still decided that the refund should stand despite solid and overwhelming proof the watch was sent and delivered.
It either went one of two ways, stolen by DHL in the USA or obtained by the customer and then scammed a refund.

With him rushing to pay customs fees even though he knew I'd paid for it to return the latter seems suspiciously true unfortunately.

So I now have paypal wrongly trying to chase me for £2148.50 when all proof, evidence and statements point in my favour.

PayPal is a disgrace.

Login to Me Too

dieselanka
New Community Member

Same happend to me. Tha customer claimed ’Unauthorized transaction’ 2days short of 3 month after the transaction.

The buyer even acknowled the reception of the items by giving me a positive feedback: ’Thank You. Fast Shipping and as advertised.’ but claims to Paypal.

Paypal already take the money from me and pay the scamming buyer, even I remarked to them that he already received and acknowledged the reception.

I have 100% positive record and no other disputes with Paypal.

Shame to Paypal for handling this case and behave on the side of the scammer.

Dieselanka

Login to Me Too

chilavert_21

this is exactly what's happening to me as well. I submitted all proof and all.
What was the result of your case?  if you loss the case, did paypal end up take money from your bank account?

Login to Me Too

chilavert_21

Did you resolve your case? may i know the update as im experiencing the same situation now

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.