Unauthorized Facebook Ad Payments

thost19
Contributor
Contributor

Today I received two emails stating that payments were made from my Paypal and bank account to Facebook for ads. I did not make these payments since my Facebook has been deactivated for two years. These payments are currently pending. Paypal will not let me disupte these transactions through the resolution center and I am also unable to block or remove my bank account. I cannot reach anyone through Paypal customer service and I can't find a way to dispute these charges through Facebook either. I reactivated my Facebook to see if I could locate the issue but there was no indication of hacking. I don't have any payment methods attached to my Facebook either. I am clueless as to how these charges were even made through my Paypal. Does anyone have any idea of what's going on or how to stop this?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

ajgabby
New Community Member

Any luck getting the charges reversed through PP.    I notice today I hade charges from FaceBook for ads.  I disputed it today and got a response that I authorized these payments with FB......Funny thing is I don't even own a Facebook account.  I can't even respond to the resolution claim as it was closed out already. Any idea who to get a hold of now?   

Login to Me Too

thost19
Contributor
Contributor

I have had absolutely zero luck with Paypal . They replied back to my message on Tuesday and said they reversed the charges then I find out this morning that the charges had still posted to my bank account. That was it! I ended up having to close and reopen a new bank account and have spent all day updating accounts due to this worthless Paypal garbage. I will NEVER use this service again. From what I gathered, someone ou there somehow guessed my Paypal key and was using it for their Facebook ads. That key linked them directly to my account. But once it's linked, it's linked and there is no way to break it apparently even though I had deleted my key. It was still active. The Facebook ads were reoccuring on a daily basis. Paypal needs to get their crap together and have a real customer service department. Once your account is hijacked, it's all downhill from there unfortunately and there is no way to get any help at all from them. If I were you, I would do the same and cut of of that mess or you might end up losing a lot of money in the long run. What type of service will not let you have control over your own finanical accounts. I couldn't delete my account, block it, and then it wouldn't even let me cancel this stupid paypal account! Bunch of BS.....

Login to Me Too

thost19
Contributor
Contributor

And yes....your best bet is to contact the fraud department with your bank. That's what I did.

Login to Me Too

JohnCody
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, 

Did you manage to resolve your issue? I'm experiencing a similar problem myself. 

Login to Me Too

AliKelman
Contributor
Contributor

I am suffering  from the same or a very similar problem. I have a £20 "purchase" of Facebook Ads on my account. I have never bought any Ads from Facebook nor have I ever bought anything via Facebook.  When I discovered the transaction I immediately contacted PayPal and sent a screen grab of the record in my PayPal account. Their response is "Thank you for reporting this case. After our review, we found that certain transactions weren't unauthorised and hence weren't eligible for Buyer Protection."

So what does this mean? PayPal appears to have confirmed that the transaction was "unauthorised" (good). So they need to have cancelled any bank transfer to them arising from this transaction and then tell me that they have so cancelled the "unauthorised" transaction - so that it will never take place. The statement that the unauthorised transactions " weren't eligible for Buyer Protection" seems weird - since I didn't buy anything - so why are they talking about "Buyer Protection".

I have been wondering if this unauthorised transaction has anything to do with the Log4Shell critical vulnerability which has just been identified: Log4j vulnerability: what should boards be asking? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @AliKelman

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear you're running into an issue with a recent transaction. If our Resolution Center's response is that the "transactions were not unauthorized", that means PayPal would not be able to offer a refund as no unauthorized activity would have been found in their review. PayPal's Buyer Protection details when a refund is offered when there's a problem reported with a specific transaction. For further assistance on this or other cases, you may want to reach out to our Customer Support teams by clicking "Contact" at the bottom of any PayPal page. 

My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.